Spey engine nozzles

Started by chrisonord, September 06, 2019, 11:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

I have  a few different  f4 phantom  kits in the stash, some  airfix and one revell  rf-4, I doubt  I  would  build them to be honest  unless I  could  convert them into  RAF  versions  with the spey engine.  Is/ was there  anyone that did aftermarket  nozzles to convert  or is it a bit more complex than that.
Cheers
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

It's MUCH more complicated than that Chris, the fuselages and intakes are wider as well as the exhaust changes.

But even the RAF flew non-Spey engined F-4s, 74 Sqdn flew ex-USN Phantoms with P&W engines.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 06, 2019, 12:17:59 PM
It's MUCH more complicated than that Chris, the fuselages and intakes are wider as well as the exhaust changes.

But even the RAF flew non-Spey engined F-4s, 74 Sqdn flew ex-USN Phantoms with P&W engines.
I had an inkling  it would be a lot more complicated,  thankyou for the heads up Kit. I have a  set of 5 RF noses for the phantom,  and  was thinking  of using one  on an airfix  phantom I  have and making a  photo  recon bird for the RAF. More than likely an armed version with either  wing mounted  redtop's or   firestreaks
Chris

kitnut617

That would confuse a few people Chris.  BTW, the 1/72 Fujimi RAF Phantom comes with a large recce pod for under the fuselage, plus it has the Speys already ----
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

chrisonord

Quote from: kitnut617 on September 06, 2019, 12:42:58 PM
That would confuse a few people Chris.  BTW, the 1/72 Fujimi RAF Phantom comes with a large recce pod for under the fuselage, plus it has the Speys already ----
I have  had a look for a fujimi f4 a few times  before,  and since bought  the airfix  fgr2. I  also have  a matchbox  version  of it , had it a long time, unbuilt and  pondering what  to  do with it. I have  read that it is not a brilliant representation of one, but it does have  quite a few  stores to plunder at least.
Chris.

PR19_Kit

The M'box Phantom has the EMI recce pod too, I used the bottom half of it for the camera bay of the PR19.  ;D

I've got a Fujimi RAF Phantom, but I've never looked in the box, so I never knew it had the EMI pod too!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

This is the Fujimi F-4S (RAF Phantom F.3) I've still got to put the decals on   :banghead:  It's a tiny bit 'what-iffy' though  ---

chrisonord

Nice build  Robert,  i want to do mine  as a 1960's   RAF aircraft , possibly  in NMF.
Chris

Weaver

GE engines... ;)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: kitnut617 on September 06, 2019, 02:47:15 PM
This is the Fujimi F-4S (RAF Phantom F.3) I've still got to put the decals on   :banghead:  It's a tiny bit 'what-iffy' though  ---

UK pattern RWR fairing.  ;D :thumbsup:

Nice one!  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on September 06, 2019, 08:33:22 PM

GE engines... ;)

Yeah, well, it's one of those American engines anyway, not a PROPER Rolls Royce motor.............  ;D ;)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: Weaver on September 06, 2019, 08:34:03 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on September 06, 2019, 02:47:15 PM

UK pattern RWR fairing.  ;D :thumbsup:

Nice one!  :thumbsup:

;D

Thanks Harold