Grumman F6F-11 HeavenCat (finished page 3)

Started by Tophe, August 30, 2019, 05:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

After holidays my son is going back to school Monday, so my dear wife offered a gift in the toyshop: one for her son and one for the father (driver)... Si I got a Heller F6F-5 1/72 Hellcat kit (with joy!):

My project is a little transformation: probably swept wings, maybe T-tail, mainly removing the ugly radial nose, I think with using only the top of the fuselage and having the propeller on the top of the tail (maybe pusher). This will be no more Hellcat but Heavencat.
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Tophe on August 30, 2019, 05:03:59 AM

My project is a little transformation: probably swept wings, maybe T-tail, mainly removing the ugly radial nose, I think with using only the top of the fuselage and having the propeller on the top of the tail (maybe pusher). This will be no more Hellcat but Heavencat.

A LITTLE transformation????:o :o :o :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Yes, a shy little transformation, sorry: not asymmetric, not zwilling, rather normal... :unsure: :-\
And in 2010 I already transformed a radial nose into better ( P-47 at https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=30280.0  )

Tophe

Tophe

Quote from: Tophe on August 30, 2019, 06:53:51 AM
not zwilling
I will not build zwillings this time but it is easy to draw:

Tophe

kerick

Quote from: Tophe on August 30, 2019, 10:31:52 AM
Quote from: Tophe on August 30, 2019, 06:53:51 AM
not zwilling
I will not build zwillings this time but it is easy to draw:

I've always wanted to try that with a Skyraider! You could use two A-1Es with the large cockpits and call it a passenger aircraft for those long flights around the South Pacific.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Tophe

Good project! I hope someday you will dare trying it actually... :thumbsup:
Not in plastic but with Photoshop, our friend Stargazer2006 (not coming here anymore, and called bispro on Deviant art) made it somehow:
https://www.deviantart.com/bispro/art/Douglas-YA6D-1-Twin-Raider-260198729

kerick

That's it! Probably a little too much wingspan for aircraft carrier parking. We can let the Marines use it from land bases.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Tophe

I forgot: there was a Twin-Skyraider in my book "The end of Forked Ghosts" in 2004, and I add today a short span version for you:

Tophe

Here are the parts I may use:

(no need for me of undercarriage, weapons, cylinders...)
But, as the nose cover is separate, as I planned to cut away most of the fuselage halves... I feel a huge temptation to cut the back also, into a twin-boomer... (asymmetric maybe)... :wacko: :unsure: ;D

Tophe

Quote from: Tophe on September 01, 2019, 02:56:58 AM
I feel a huge temptation to cut the back also, into a twin-boomer... (asymmetric maybe)... :wacko: :unsure: ;D
No! Here is the test flight team speaking: "this is not a matter of what-if (= ridiculous) model fantasy  :angry: , this is serious for safety  <_< : the XF6F-11 has not enough fin control and suffers from a high torque effect, requiring transformation into the better YF6F-11":

Tophe

After less than 5 hours months of test flight, the final settings have been decided it seems: less fin, more tailplane, less rear propeller, more asymmetry: <_<

Tophe

Ahem, the butcher came and... the seeds of the twin-boom F6F-11 have been created.

The twin-boom F6F-11 has not been born yet, but the embryo is alive! ;) I may go to jail in my country for saying that, sorry, so "I mean; what-if it were already alive (joke)..."

Tophe