Here's one for Kit -- Bell X-16

Started by kitnut617, August 29, 2019, 01:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

I was following a thread over on SPF about X-16/U-2. I couldn't remember anything about an X-16 so did a google search.

Well this is something right up Kit's alley   ;D   ---  It got half built before the program was cancelled.

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Too right Robert, a cracking looking aeroplane.  :thumbsup:

Such a pity they didn't fly it. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Well what they did select was the RB-57, which is nearly as impressive

PR19_Kit

It's odd that the X-16 is often quoted as a competitor to the U-2, but the U-2 was already flying when they started work on the X-16.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Neat.  It looks like it's scaleorama'd.
1/72 fuselage, 1/144 airliner wings and 1/48 engines.
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Well if anyone is interested, Ren of Sharkit does a 1/72 kit of it. But it's more of a 'desk-top-model' than a true kit.

http://www.sharkit.com/sharkit/X-16/x16.htm

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 30, 2019, 12:40:41 AM
It's odd that the X-16 is often quoted as a competitor to the U-2, but the U-2 was already flying when they started work on the X-16.

From what I gather so far on the SPF thread, it was to overcome the shortcomings of the U2. Which was then passed over for the RB-57D/F.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on August 30, 2019, 07:03:58 AM

From what I gather so far on the SPF thread, it was to overcome the shortcomings of the U2. Which was then passed over for the RB-57D/F.

Yeah, the wings weren't long enough..................  ;D ;D ;) ;)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

I do like that, something I need to look in to is a plane like  that.  One  of my CF 100's  could very well  be the basis.
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

kitnut617

Something like this maybe Chris   ;D

Because of the big turbofans, I had to widen the space between engine pods and fuselage quite a bit, it allows for a space between the wheel bays to accommodate this, it's a recce pannier from the TSR2 ---

PR19_Kit

A SUPER Clunk!  :thumbsup:

Is it an RCF-100 then?

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Pretty much what I want to do to one of mine Robert  yes, except I was going  to leave  the engines alone. The wings  will get either  replaced or  lengthened,  and  a camera  nose fitted. I might, now I  think about  it see if rhe camera gondola from the RA-5 vigilante  will fit on the fuselage,  as that would look tje part if it does. Mine will be an RAF PR-100  :wacko:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

You could saw the Vigi pod down to length to suit, it's pretty long anyway.

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

My "Super Clunk" (thanks Kit  ;) ) idea evolved while I was converting one of the CF-100 Mk.4's back to a Mk.3. You can see how that is progressing in this pic below, I've got to modify the port side to finish it.

At the time I had my Twin Fury project going and had a number of Mustang models of all variants out for comparing when I noticed that the CF-100 Mk.3 wing looked very similar in the plan view. Laying some P-51H wings over the Mk.3 wing revealed it was, the CF-100 wing just being a lot bigger all around. As I had a Beechnut P-51H that I had abandoned (it's not 1/72 scale) I placed one of it's wings on the end of the Mk.3 wing and was pleasantly surprised it looked quite good. But I decided to use the CK-100 Mk.5 kit I have to see if a CF-100 PR was feasible. The Mk.5 has a much larger tailplane than the other variants. And so that's how it went ---