Clive Cussler's NUMA ships: Turquoise or Aquamarine?

Started by seadude, August 24, 2019, 11:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

So I have an idea to build a NUMA oceanographic research ship based on some of the books from Clive Cussler. I want to convert my 1/350 scale LPD-17 San Antonio class ship. Now, I'm not really a fan of the books and have never read any except for Raise the Titanic. I've heard that most NUMA ships and other vehicles are painted a turquoise or aquamarine color. But which one? Or more specifically, which shade?
I've thought about the following two examples plus the 4 following color choices below. But which color might be best?

Also, here is a link to an all blue green LPD-17 I saw on Deviantart website. It's nice, but I'd rather NOT paint my "entire" ship that kind of color. I just don't like the look of it. Also, I would be removing the stealthy enclosed radar masts and replacing them with the more traditional masts seen on Arleigh Burke destroyers.
https://www.deviantart.com/scooternjng/art/Second-Attempt-498121948

Tamiya TS-41 Coral Blue

Vallejo 70.840 Light Turquoise

Vallejo 70.808 Blue Green

Vallejo 70.966 Turquoise

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

PR19_Kit

We had exactly this question a few years ago for someone who wanted to add a NUMA paint scheme to a helicopter model in Flight Simulator 9.

I've read almost all of the Cussler NUMA books and they just don't go into enough detail about the colour, it's just called 'turquoise'.

However, as Cussler founded a REAL National Underwater and Maritime Agency after writing the books, you may find their web site worth looking at as the background colour to the site is all sorts of turquoise shades.  ;D

https://numa.net/
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

seadude

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 24, 2019, 12:56:01 PM
We had exactly this question a few years ago for someone who wanted to add a NUMA paint scheme to a helicopter model in Flight Simulator 9.

I've read almost all of the Cussler NUMA books and they just don't go into enough detail about the colour, it's just called 'turquoise'.

So basically what you're saying is just pick a color and go with that. There's no right or wrong since his books and ships, etc. are fictional.

However, as Cussler founded a REAL National Underwater and Maritime Agency after writing the books, you may find their web site worth looking at as the background colour to the site is all sorts of turquoise shades.  ;D

https://numa.net/
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

scooter

Quote from: seadude on August 24, 2019, 11:34:46 AM

Also, here is a link to an all blue green LPD-17 I saw on Deviantart website. It's nice, but I'd rather NOT paint my "entire" ship that kind of color. I just don't like the look of it. Also, I would be removing the stealthy enclosed radar masts and replacing them with the more traditional masts seen on Arleigh Burke destroyers.
https://www.deviantart.com/scooternjng/art/Second-Attempt-498121948

Yup, that's mine. :wacko:  It was here, but since dA changed their image urls, I'm going to eventually have to update my entire Randomness folder.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Dizzyfugu

You could also use the infamous Soviet Cockpit Teal?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 26, 2019, 04:41:08 AM

You could also use the infamous Soviet Cockpit Teal?

I think we looked at that for the FS model, but it was a tad too blue.

Regards
Kit

seadude

Would NUMA ships be painted turquoise all over? Or would only the upper half of the ship hull be turquoise, while the rest of the superstructure, etc. is white like shown in my pictures further above?

PR19_Kit

IIRC both schemes were quoted in the books, but it'd take some hefty and lengthy research to see if there was a time line for the two schemes.

Regards
Kit

seadude

Something else I want to ask, but it's not color related.
I want to add a bunch of what are called "knuckle boom cranes" to the ship for cargo and other purposes. But my main ship is 1/350 scale, and the only cranes I have are 1/700 scale. :( No body makes or offers 1/350 scale knuckle boom cranes anywhere. I don't know if I could or should add them or not as they may look out of scale.
I was thinking of the following positions for the cranes:

2 cranes on the starboard side indicated by green dots for the yellow knuckle boom cranes.
Red dot on the port side amidships is the regular crane that a San Antonio class LPD ship normally has.
Green dot at the bow would be for another yellow knuckle boom crane.