Ian Allen Birmingham

Started by Steel Penguin, August 24, 2019, 09:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steel Penguin

A quick note to all

It seems that Ian Allen in Birmingham (UK) is shutting down mid September.
   They have a closing down sale running, and it a 50% discount, its on models and books, im unsure weather the model rail ( locos, wagons etc) is included, but im  assuming it is, as the woodland seanics flock I bought was included.

the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

PR19_Kit

Darn it, I think that means there are NO Ian Allan retail outlets anywhere any more.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Thanks for that rather sad news mate.

Is it purely the shop that's closing ? The publishing house is continuing I assume ? Hopefully.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Steel Penguin

alas im not certain  :banghead:
the shop staff were both resigned and certain yesterday, that they were not going to get a reprieve, I did think to ask re the publishing house  :banghead:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

NARSES2

No problem mate I was just being lazy.

Just had a look at the Group website and that is as normal. So it looks as though it's just the shops.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Ian Allan Publishing started to limit its activities some years ago, pulling out of the magazine market and limiting itself to hard back books, mostly railway aligned. IIRC they said at the time that they intended to get out of the retail market too, but it's taken a while for them to finally do so.

Their Cardiff shop closed maybe 8-9 yrs. ago now, and that was very handy for me!  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Howard of Effingham

Keeper of George the Cat.

Nick

Last time I looked (June) the London shop was still there and busy. I doubt I've ever been the only customer in there.

Mike Wren

ah, just found this after I'd posted about it thinking no one had...

just to confirm first hand the Ian Allan Bookshop in Birmingham is to close on Saturday 14th September 2019.

The lease is up and the site is to be redeveloped and unfortunately the company has decided that closing it down is a better option for them than relocating  :banghead:

The mail order was run from the Birmingham shop and that has also finished. The Waterloo shop is continuing as normal.

everything is 50% off until close, get it while you can

NARSES2

I didn't realise the Mail Order was going as well  :-\

I suppose this effects you as well Mike ?

Mike Wren

Made redundant mate, but don't worry, I'm currently setting up my own place... Details to follow...

NARSES2

Sorry to hear that Mike, but sometimes it's the shove we need. Best of luck to you  :thumbsup:

Mike Wren

PR19_Kit

Veeeeeery interesting!  :thumbsup:

Best of luck with your plans Mike.

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Does look interesting, best of luck Mike  :thumbsup: