Convair CV-710 Skylark

Started by TomZ, August 17, 2019, 10:31:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

Convair CV-710 Skylark

After it became clear that the US Air Force would not order the C-99 in quantity, Convair tried to sell a civil passenger transport variant, the model Convair 37 with a capacity of 204 passengers. Like the XC-99 this has the wing, tail and engines of the Convair B-36 Peacemaker bomber.
The model 37 was sold to a number of airlines as the CV-310 and was the start of a very successful family of airliners. Over the years the models 410, 510 and 610 were developed and sold. The ultimate variant was the model 710, or CV-710 which appeared in 1967. The CV-710 had a completely new fuselage and was the first of the so called "wide bodied airliners". The CV-710 could carry 320 passengers in a 3-3-3 configuration.

It still retained the same basic wing structure. The engines used were upgraded versions of the  Pratt & Whitney R-4360 Wasp Major. The Pratt & Whitney R-4360-140 solved a lot of the cooling problems suffered by the first Wasp Major versions and  produced over 5.500hp each.

The CV-710 was very successful and sold to over 40 airlines all over the world. It served until finally in the early 1990s there was a breakthrough in the long development of the jet engines and the first jet passenger liners appeared.

TomZ
http://www.airwar1946.nl/index.htm
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

McColm

loupgarou

Fascinating. But, please,give us details about the base models etc. I haven't found anything in your site.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

TomZ

Quote from: loupgarou on August 17, 2019, 11:35:40 AM
Fascinating. But, please,give us details about the base models etc. I haven't found anything in your site.

It's a combination of the 1/144 Hobbycraft B-36 for the wings and tail and a Zvezda Il-86 airliner for the fuselage.

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Weaver

Oh that's sweet - well done! It looks so right!  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

Not really into civvies but this one's brilliant! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

ericr

Tophe

VERY nice! :wub: :thumbsup:
It is so pleasant to see a very different airliner, like no one else!
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

zenrat

Awesome.  Even in 1/144 that's going to be pretty large.
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Oh my --------- :o

That is simply stunning. I'd have payed top dollar to fly in that, even though it's Virgin  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

Marvellous,  certainly  had me scratching my  bonce.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

63cpe

Yeah, way to go Tom!  :wub: :wub: :thumbsup:

Cheers!
David aka 63cpe

AndrewF