Focke Wulf FW-187D-2 Nachtfalke

Started by TomZ, August 07, 2019, 11:10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

Focke Wulf FW-187D-2 Nachtfalke

When the Focke Wulf FW-187 lost out to the Messerschmitt BF-110 as the heavy fighter for the Luftwaffe the Focke Wulf company looked for other ways to get the type into production.

Their chance came in 1943 when the Luftwaffe was looking for a night fighter. Focke Wulf offered the FW-187D model with DB601 engines and a FuG-220 Lichtenstein radar. The type was ordered into production and a total of 481 were built before the end of the war.

TomZ
http://www.airwar1946.nl/index.htm
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

PR19_Kit

Is that REALLY a Whiff?  :o

It looks far too plausible to me.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

That's looking good - I just wonder if it is a two-seater? The Fw 187's original cockpit must have been totally cramped, and adding a second crew man PLUS the technical stuff for the radar must have been a great shoehorning feat!  ;)

TomZ

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 07, 2019, 11:51:08 PM
I just wonder if it is a two-seater? The Fw 187's original cockpit must have been totally cramped, and adding a second crew man PLUS the technical stuff for the radar must have been a great shoehorning feat!  ;)

This is the two seater version. But good call: In real life a night variant was considered but rejected because of the lack of space for the radar equipment in the second cockpit.

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

AndrewF

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Another beauty  :thumbsup:

I've always liked the 187 ever since I first discovered it in one of William Green's Warplanes of the Second World War "pocket" books. Which I still have and still use as a handy quick reference. Must have had them since the mid sixties ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 08, 2019, 06:20:54 AM

.......... William Green's Warplanes of the Second World War "pocket" books. Which I still have and still use as a handy quick reference. Must have had them since the mid sixties ?

You and me both, and I have a full set too, very weather beaten by now of course. It's a pity he never finished the series off, only getting 1/3 of the way through the bombers books.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Because of the swastika on the tail, I don't feel I am authorized to clap my hands, otherwise I would... Unusual model and very well built/modified...
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Hotte

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 08, 2019, 08:16:18 AM

You and me both, and I have a full set too, very weather beaten by now of course. It's a pity he never finished the series off, only getting 1/3 of the way through the bombers books.

I didn't realise he'd never finished them Kit, but then they were probably useful stocking fillers for mum and dad back in the day  :thumbsup: So I probably discovered girls before I realised they were incomplete  ;D I've got a couple of the WWI books as well.

I still find then very handy for a quick reference for some of the obscure French and Italian projects.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I can't get at mine just now to confirm, but he did all the fighters, and then started on the bombers, but got sidetracked onto the flying boats and amphibians. But then didn't do any more bombers, so none of the UK or USA types are in the books.  :banghead:

By now we're over-run with info on them of course, but Green's books are SO handy to sit just by the model bench and not take up too much room.

Regards
Kit

Glenn Gilbertson

That looks really good & plausible! :thumbsup:

dumaniac

I build in 48. I must admit I thought this was an upgraded Hs129 at first glance.  I have a couple of Esci 48 kits - I could extend the cockpit to allow for a second seat, radar in the nose - maybe upgrade the engines from a Me 110. Would look great in black. Thanks for sharing. I recognise that the Hs cockpit was small and cramped but I would not let there truth get in the way of a good what-if.

Bernie