English Electric Canberra interceptor.

Started by chrisonord, July 21, 2019, 01:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

As this was also a real world  proposal  being  armed with a pair of rather rotund  missiles, I was  thinking of  building my own version of  an in service  Canberra interceptor.  I  am thinking of  using  the Martin  B 57 version  though,  mainly  because of the  cockpit and canopy  arrangement.  Better  all round view,  and  better for the  crews  in case they needed to  eject. Also,  larger or different  shaped  intakes and  exhaust nozzles,  as the aircraft  could  benefit from more powerful engines, and  also  maybe a new nose  for the necessary  radar  . I think  I  will  arm it wi3 a pair  of large  missiles,  possibly  some  modified  Soviet  era air to air missiles,  suitably  hacked up. I shall  name  said  missiles,  tweed squirrel.. :wacko:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

Graft in some engines from a PR9, OODLES more power then.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

I will have to have a look at what I  have  in the bits boxes,  I have an xtrakit Canberra,  that is a  PR version  but not sure of the  version it is.
Chris

Weaver

The B-57 pilot was sat quite near the front, without very much nose in front of him. To fit a bigger radar, you'll have to extend the nose and blend the shape into the existing taper of the fuselage: think B-57G but with a pointier radome. :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

kerick

You could use whatever Canberra kit that has the biggest engines and then add a B-57 front fuselage or just add the cockpit and canopy from some appropriate two seater such as a Phantom or T-33 type.

This looks really interesting! I'll be watching this one!

Hmmm.... an F-4C/D has a nice fat nose.....
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

KJ_Lesnick

Why not just fit it with nuclear tipped missiles?  If you're going to haul missiles that big around, you might as well make 'em count with the highest P/k
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

PR19_Kit

The Xtrakit PR Canberra is a PR9, yes.

And a PR9 has by FAR the most powerful engines of a 'standard' Canberra. They tended to take-off at 80% throttle even with a full fuel load.

Of course the various test-bed aircraft had even larger ones, probably the most powerful being the Olympus Canberra.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Scotaidh

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on July 21, 2019, 09:28:46 PM
Why not just fit it with nuclear tipped missiles?  If you're going to haul missiles that big around, you might as well make 'em count with the highest P/k

Why not just fill the bomb bay with AAMRAAMs?  A two double-tier rotary launchers should have enough capacity to ruin the day for an opposing squadron's worth of aircraft ...
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Hobbes

chrisonord

Quote from: Scotaidh on July 22, 2019, 01:25:49 AM

Why not just fill the bomb bay with AAMRAAMs?  A two double-tier rotary launchers should have enough capacity to ruin the day for an opposing squadron's worth of aircraft ...
Hya  Scott,  the aircraft will be in a 1950's early 60's time line,  so a long time  before  the aim 120. I want to  arm it with missiles  from that period,  hence the large tweed squirrel  or for the super sonic aircraft,  tweed Bishop missiles. Nuclear  tipped missiles would be  the very last choice  given  where the aircraft will be based. Rickshaw,  your  F-114 is something  like  what I  want to do , part based on a version  in a book I have,  and  part based on the practicality of the  B 57 cockpit.
Chris

PR19_Kit

Red Deans, that's the way to go on the missile front. The Canberra's possibly the ONLY aircraft large enough to carry the darn things!

I've been whittling away at doing something similar for ages now, it was intended for the Cold War GB over a year ago, but as is often the case with my projects it got stalled on some irritating small problem. It's going to be armed with two Red Deans on wing pylons, six Firestreaks in modified F-89H wing pod tanks, and if all else fails, two Genies carried in the bomb bay on F-102 trapeze mounts.  ;D

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=44957.0

Oh yeah, it started off with PR9 engines and wings too, but I upgraded them to some theoretical RR turbofan.

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 22, 2019, 05:23:38 AM
Red Deans, that's the way to go on the missile front. The Canberra's possibly the ONLY aircraft large enough to carry the darn things!

I've been whittling away at doing something similar for ages now, it was intended for the Cold War GB over a year ago, but as is often the case with my projects it got stalled on some irritating small problem. It's going to be armed with two Red Deans on wing pylons, six Firestreaks in modified F-89H wing pod tanks, and if all else fails, two Genies carried in the bomb bay on F-102 trapeze mounts.  ;D

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=44957.0

Oh yeah, it started off with PR9 engines and wings too, but I upgraded them to some theoretical RR turbofan.
I think  making the  intakes and  exhaust  different  enough  will be the biggest  challenge  without  going  silly,  I  think  I  will look at  aircraft  that flew high subsonic, and  see if their  intakes are  scratch buildable. Missile wise, just  a pair either under the wings or on the wing tips.  The tweed  squirrel  will be a competitor to the  red deans. Modified  R-40 's will make  suitable  missiles  I  think,  changing the  fins and  round  off the nose of them will work.
Chris.

NARSES2

You really don't want to be using nuclear tipped missiles anywhere near, let alone over, a crowded island like Great Britain.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

My thoughts  exactly  Chris.  I have a  pair of Genies on my Avro Archer,  but that is  based on Germany,  or Greenland.
Chris.