NASCAR in the UK

Started by McColm, July 14, 2019, 09:16:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

What if there was NASCAR in the United Kingdom?
The only banked racing circuit that I have heard about is Brooklands but I'm guessing that there were others built but have been neglected, turned into housing estates or factories.
I've seen NASCAR racing on the TV but never been to a race day, the closest I got to was the Daytona track,  then there's the cars.
I suppose ( not being a mechanic or engineer)  modified Touring Cars would have been used over here to start with and then gradually replaced by  the American and Japanese NASCARs.
Kits,  I have a couple of 1/24 or 1/25 scale touring cars that I have built or restored.  The Porsche 911 RS and a Ford Capri Zakspeed.  The American and Japanese cars are catered for in the larger scales .
Which is why this makes an ideal whiff if other non-racing cars are included in this build and other scales.
All your comments will be welcomed as they will help me with this project,
Steven

PR19_Kit

There was, and is, a bit anyway.

They did have a NASCAR type series running at the Rockingham track, which was very much in the American style with banked bends and a road circuit in the middle. But there just wasn't the support from the public and it closed as a racing venue late last year.

They do also have NASCAR type events on the short Indy Circuit at Brands Hatch, running anti-clockwise IIRC, but only twice a year or so.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Thanks Kit,  from what I have seen when I play the Real Racing 3 online game the  body of the car is almost touching the tarmac and the tyres are much wider,  there's no flamboyant spoiler on the boot/trunk of the car.
So I might get away with a skirt made from plastic card and lose the Dolphin rear spoiler on the Ford Capri Zakspeed or use the Matchbox Ford Capri 'Sport' as the donor kit.

PR19_Kit

Here's a couple of relevant links

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VSR_V8_Trophy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockingham_Motor_Speedway#Oval_racing

The ASCAR/VSR V8 cars were very much US models, nothing like Super Touring cars.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 14, 2019, 09:46:34 AM
They did have a NASCAR type series running at the Rockingham track, which was very much in the American style with banked bends and a road circuit in the middle. But there just wasn't the support from the public and it closed as a racing venue late last year.

My guess would be that there wasn't a racing enthusiast demographic who enjoys watching cars drive around an oval all day.  :angel:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kitnut617

Quote from: scooter on July 14, 2019, 12:20:10 PM

My guess would be that there wasn't a racing enthusiast demographic who enjoys watching cars drive around an oval all day.  :angel:

From an article I read only a few months ago, NASCAR has a similar problem developing in the States too ----
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Quote from: scooter on July 14, 2019, 12:20:10 PM

Exactly, motorsport fans in the UK were brought up on cars turning right as well as left.

Except those of us who were drag racers of course, we didn't turn EITHER way, or tried not to anyway.  ;D

Regards
Kit

JayBee

All I can say to Kit's last comment is  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

McColm

I think Kit was referring to the drag racing cars and not wearing drag then having a race :-\