Douglas Dauntless target tug

Started by The Rat, June 18, 2019, 05:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

No back story yet, maybe never, don't know. Just glad to get one finished. The venerable old Airfix 1/72nd scale Douglas Dauntless, as a target tug, which of course it never was. This is, after all, a 'What if?' board.

No serious modifications, but a lot of stuff left off, like 3 bombs, the center-line bomb slinger thingy, machine gun(s) and mount. Stretched sprue aerial, and gear doors were replaced with plastic card. Scaled up, the original doors would have cause enough drag that dive brakes would be unnecessary.

All hand-painted with hairy sticks. Principle paints were Tamiya; XF-18 Medium Blue, XF-3 Yellow, and XF-7 Red. Aerial attachment on vertical tailplane was a chopped down piece of the gun mount. Open cockpit because the piece was missing. Prop decals are just dabs of the XF-3. Might do something about the decal silvering later, for now I just want to move on, there are several others on the bench that are close. (Translation: mere hours in Dizzyfugu's world, probably weeks in mine ;D)

Pictures were taken with my Samsung S5 Neo, some at 400 ASA and some at 800. The 400 setting looks pretty good, the 800 has noticeable grain. A few were post-processed with IrfanView to autocorrect colours.

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

zenrat

She looks great in those colours.
Good job.

:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

comrade harps

Yellow with the hairy stick can be difficult and you've done a nice even job of it there: I dips me lid!  :thumbsup:
Whatever.

Dizzyfugu

b29r

Very nice, Ratty!  Love the concept and the build, much respect for that yellow paint work  :thumbsup:

Best,
Kem

NARSES2

That's come out really well Ratty. :thumbsup:

It's almost a pre-War Yellow Wings scheme
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Doug K

The Rat

Thank you, gentlemen! There are other possible contenders for this scheme, the Devastator comes to mind.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Glenn Gilbertson

Captain Canada

Oh yeah. Perfect Davey ! That looks right eh ?!

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

Quote from: Captain Canada on June 19, 2019, 09:03:28 PM
Oh yeah. Perfect Davey ! That looks right eh ?!

Thanks! As usual it looks rougher up close, but I like those colours. I must pick up more of that medium blue, it's just a lovely shade.