British Night Owl

Started by RPadavan2, June 18, 2019, 12:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RPadavan2

Back at the end of April, I helped my mother sort through and pack up her house for a move.  While there, I came across a cardboard box in the closet of my old room.  Turns out inside the box was a collection of build models from the 1980s and 1990s I had stashed there prior to moving to Europe for a couple of years.  One of those models I now present to you...a British F-14A Tomcat!

The idea came from reading an article in a magazine in the late 1980s, Air Forces Monthly (if I remember correctly).  In the article, it was discussed the consideration of the RAF purchasing F-14s or F-15s instead of developing the Tornado.  For some reason the idea of a Tomcat in British livery appealed to me and I eventually made it in physical form.  Granted this is a very basic scheme and not based on any present or former flying unit.  Consider it a Proof of Concept paint scheme.

Model: Dragon F-14A
Decals: mix of kit supplied and donations from another kit (possibly the kit I used for my French Foreign Legion Sea Harrier.  https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=34561.msg547822#msg547822 )

Scotaidh

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Caveman

seems to have survived remarkably intact!
secretprojects forum migrant

comrade harps

Phoenix, Sidewinder and Skyflash, I presume.  :wub:
Whatever.

PR19_Kit

They would have made very good Bear interceptors over the North Sea and the Atlantic I'm sure. And with lots more range and strike distance than the Lightnings, Phantoms and Tonkas that we had for real.

But they'd have been VERY expensive................
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Certainly suits that scheme  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Quite right!!!   I love it.
-Sprues McDuck-

Captain Canada

Oooh what a sweetheart ! She looks so good in those colours and markings ! I mean, anything looks good in roundels but that ? Awesome. Nice one. Hopefully you can dig up a few more !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Leading Observer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 19, 2019, 06:08:43 AM
They would have made very good Bear interceptors over the North Sea and the Atlantic I'm sure. And with lots more range and strike distance than the Lightnings, Phantoms and Tonkas that we had for real.

But they'd have been VERY expensive................

We would have probably bought 13, 1 Squadron + a spare
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Weaver

Nice one - looks good!  :thumbsup:

Anciliary costs were another factor against it. The tanker fleet would have had to be enlarged and tankers are expensive. Also, at a million dollars a shot, and a standard RAF training requirement of every crew doing at least one live missile shot per year, the cost of simply owning Phoenix would have been sky-high, even if they never fired a shot in anger. And without Phoenix, the F-14 look over-spec'd and over-priced compared to the alternatives.

Also, you have to remember the mid-1970s context in which the decision was made. At the time, the F-14 was having severe engine troubles with the TF-30 and there seemed a very real possibility that Congress would cancel it before the UK could get around to buying any in the mid-1980s (the patrol-interceptor buy had to wait until the Tornado IDS spending had passed it's peak).
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Why would the tanker fleet have needed to be enlarged? They must have had enough already to keep the Lightnings airborne long enough to get to the middle of the North Sea and back to base at least.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit