Bearcat, on floats *finished*

Started by sandiego89, June 07, 2019, 03:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiego89

In early 1945, the US Navy sent out an urgent proposal to manufactures for a high performance float plane fighter that could serve as interceptor aboard battleships, cruiser and icebreakers.  An aircraft with excellent climb was needed to meet the Kamikaze threat in the Pacific, and to intercept long range Fw200 Condor flights in the Greenland area as the resurgent Atlantic front continued on....

Bearcat on Floats, 1/72, by Sandiego89

Revell Bearcat and ancient Lindberg Kingfisher.   

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kitnut617

You don't think they would have gone like a Wildcatfish then ?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

sandiego89

Quote from: kitnut617 on June 07, 2019, 05:22:08 PM
You don't think they would have gone like a Wildcatfish then ?

Perhaps, but I think less drag with a single main float would give better performance.  The wildcatfish looks very draggy with those big floats and struts. This will be more like a Rufe Or SC-1, which look a bit more sleek.   
Dave "Sandiego89"

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

That Revel boxing is a nice little kit. I've built a couple and still have one in the "original ?" Monogram box. Looking forward to this.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

work commencing. 

The Float was equipped with a small compartment aft of the strut that could accommodate one person for air/sea rescue work, or spy insertion/recovery.

Harrier T2/T4 horizontal stabilizer as central strut.

Dave "Sandiego89"

Weaver

Sweet. The Kingfisher's always tempting because you can nick the float for something else, then put it on it's wheeled gear and nobody recognises it. :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

sandiego89

Quote from: Weaver on June 08, 2019, 09:23:04 AM
Sweet. The Kingfisher's always tempting because you can nick the float for something else, then put it on it's wheeled gear and nobody recognises it. :thumbsup:

Indeed.  It is a nice float- but a wheeled Kingfisher looks funny.

Paint on. 

Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

While the paint dries (always a challenge for me in these one week builds), scratching up a catapult.  Evergreen styrene. 

old Curtis SC-1 test fit. 

Dave "Sandiego89"

Weaver

Quote from: sandiego89 on June 08, 2019, 09:32:27 AM

If it's the one where the wing is moulded in one piece, tip-to-tip, and fits through holes in the fuselage, then my idea was to convert it to a braced parasol wing and call it a US equivalent of the Lysander.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

sandiego89

Quote from: Weaver on June 08, 2019, 02:29:44 PM

If it's the one where the wing is moulded in one piece, tip-to-tip, and fits through holes in the fuselage, then my idea was to convert it to a braced parasol wing and call it a US equivalent of the Lysander.

The Lindberg Kingfisher does have the one piece wing that slides through the fuselage (the Bearcat does also!). Actually a nice way to do a wing.   

Posed for your inspiration!

Dave "Sandiego89"

Tophe

Good!
My late uncle was a pilot of Bearcat, he would love this derivative I am sure. :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

kerick

That parasol wing looks very doable! Maybe some nice spatted landing gear to go with it! :wub: :thumbsup:
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Weaver

Quote from: sandiego89 on June 08, 2019, 06:51:11 PM
Quote from: Weaver on June 08, 2019, 02:29:44 PM

The Lindberg Kingfisher does have the one piece wing that slides through the fuselage (the Bearcat does also!). Actually a nice way to do a wing.   

Posed for your inspiration!

Thank you - it does look like a natural, doesn't it?  :thumbsup:

With the wing being so thick and designed as a cnatilever structure anyway, maybe you could say that it doesn't need bracing struts (like a Do.27/28) and that's its selling point compared to a Lizzie or an Hs.126.

- Indiana Jones

Scotaidh

Thank you - it does look like a natural, doesn't it?  :thumbsup:

With the wing being so thick and designed as a cnatilever structure anyway, maybe you could say that it doesn't need bracing struts (like a Do.27/28) and that's its selling point compared to a Lizzie or an Hs.126.
[/quote]

Plus you then have those nice big elliptical viewing ports on the lower sides - sure to be a great help in keeping an eye on the guy in the ocean whom you're supposed to rescue, so's you don't lose him in the chop.
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."