1:72 DAP Bunyip Mk. IIB, BF-K of RAAF 5 Sq., New Guinea, late '44

Started by Dizzyfugu, May 31, 2019, 01:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Well, it's early, but I had to search for a suitable project since I had recently "built away" some of the most suitable candidates for this GB.  :rolleyes:
However, I found a recent inspiration and a suitable kit as a basis - it's actually (once more) a PantherG drawing that triggered something here:

It looks so natural... My build will differ in many ways, though: I found an Eduard La-7 in the stash that will become the basis, and I will give it a different engine and propeller (maybe spinner-less), as well as a different armament (all in the wings).

We'll see...  :mellow:

Doug K

zenrat

Cool.  One of the possibles on my mental list is a white-tailed RAAF Wildcat.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Preparations go on. Found a suitable Bristol Hercules cowling (from a Matchbox Beaufighter) in the spares box, as well as an engine dummy that should fit into it. Both spend the next week in oven cleaner foam. The propeller is a bit diffifult, but IIRC I have some resin B-24 props that should fit well into the combo.
Really looking forward to this one, esp. because of the colors - AFAIK, RAAF WWII colors are under heavy debate, tone suggestions are controversial, to say the least.  ;)

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 01, 2019, 02:54:44 AM

Really looking forward to this one, esp. because of the colors - AFAIK, RAAF WWII colors are under heavy debate, tone suggestions are controversial, to say the least.  ;)

I've got a nice Lifecolor set which look right to me, but I think there would have been huge variation at the time if only because of the immediate War situation in 1942/1943 in particular.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Parts safari in the resin sets revealed a quartet of Hispano 20mm cannon for a Hurricane. Might become useful, too...  ;D

Dizzyfugu

Also settled for a suitable unit: RAAF's No. 5 squadron, operating in New Guinea in late 1944.

Dizzyfugu

"Lift off, we have lift off...". Not finished yet ( :rolleyes: ), but first things are on the way - e. g. the donor propeller (resin piece for a B-24, pimped with a metal axis), and engine and cowling have been secured from last week's oven cleaner bath:

1:72 Australian Department of Aircraft Production (DAP) "Bunyip" Mk. IIb - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Furthermore, here's a look at the kit - pretty lost in the big box, half of it would have been enough:

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

Well, construction phase has been finished. The integration of the new engine was more complicated than expected, and I might replace the propeller with a slightly smaller one (or I will build another one from the B-24 set and clip the lower end of the blades). Additionally, I decided to open/lower the flaps, since this is easy to realize on this kit. Otherwise, the building experience is so-so. The plastic is a little weird and soft, and it takes unusually long to cure with my standard glue.

The dry-fitted engine sans old paint. A section, where the original exhaust was attached, had to be filled, too.

Untitled
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The flaps, WiP:

Untitled
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Cockpit preparations. According to several sources, Australian-built aircraft were painted with the British Interior Green, so I stuck with that:

Untitled
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Painting the engine, with acrylics and a fat coat of black ink:

Untitled
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Strangely, the instructions tell you to glue the fuselage halves together first and then insert the dashboard and the bulkhead with the seat:

Untitled
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The engine "interior" with the adapter tube for the propeller:

Untitled
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Engine parts before assembly:

Untitled
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Lots of PSR around the engine attachment area. The La-7's exhausts had to go, as well as the machine gun bulges on top of the cowling:

Untitled
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Assembly of the major components - with the B-24 prop in place, it looks a little oversized?

Untitled
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

A look underneath:

Untitled
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

And finally with the clear parts in place:

Untitled
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Still some cleaning to do (e. g. the new exhaust port, the cannon magaine bulges on the wings), but progress was better than expected. Work will rest tomorrow , though.

PR19_Kit

Typical, less than a whole day into the GB and Dizzy's already finished his main construction!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Dizzyfugu

Besides, here's a look at the two propellers - for the new one, I used the central hub from the B-24 set, but simply added the single blades from the La-7 kit. Works very well, and looks much better now.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Today's work: basic painting with individual mixes for the Foliage Green and Earth Brown tones - inspired by real life pictures. No guarantee concerning any authenticity, but both tones appear pretty dark, the green very bluish and the the brown almost like a rich chocolate tone:

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Should look great with massive white ID markings!  :lol: