Thunderbolt GA.1

Started by Devilfish, May 24, 2019, 01:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilfish

Thunderbolt GA.1
20 (AC) Sqn RAF Germany 1986

When the British Army started flying it's own armed fixed wing aircraft in the close support role, there was, naturally, outrage in the halls of the Ministry, as the RAF complained that it was their role to support ground forces. Almost immediately the Air Staff began looking at a suitable, but better (read "more complicated") aircraft, that the Army wouldn't be able to maintain on their own. The obvious choice was the new Fairchild A-10, coming into service with the USAF.
After much wrangling between the RAF and Army, eventually it was declared that if this was to go ahead, it would have to be a joint unit.  The Army therefore insisted on having one of their officers on whatever plane was chosen.  This scuppered the A-10 idea, until Fairchild came out with the N/AW A-10, two seater.
Orders were immediately placed, with the idea of the rear seat being purely an Army observer.  Eventually, as crew training progressed, it became evident the rear-seater would become a valuable member of the crew, operating the various systems, and target tracking etc
The aircraft was modified for British use, with the addition of an IFR probe.
Weaponry typically consisted of anti armour and ground suppression rounds, with a Sidewinder for self defence, and an American AGM-88 HARM for anti-radar use.

20190522_175645 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20190522_175551 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20190522_175631 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20190522_175535 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20190522_175520 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20190522_175504 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20190522_175406 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

AndrewF

Good job. I'm convinced.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Very good, and plausible too.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Steel Penguin

looks darn  good from here :thumbsup:
and that's a good broadside of SNEBs, which I very much approve of  ;D
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

TallEng

Very nice :thumbsup:
RAFG in 1986 probably makes its base RAF Laarbruch
And just for info: 20ies codes where black with a pale blue outline, G for 20 and A etc as the individual Aircraft code
(I know I was there  ;) )
Regards
Keith
Not (Still all bitter and twisted*) now
* 20Sqn Groundcrew Motto
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

TomZ

Looks very good in this scheme.

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Devilfish

Quote from: TallEng on May 25, 2019, 10:32:41 AM
Very nice :thumbsup:
RAFG in 1986 probably makes its base RAF Laarbruch
And just for info: 20ies codes where black with a pale blue outline, G for 20 and A etc as the individual Aircraft code
(I know I was there  ;) )
Regards
Keith
Not (Still all bitter and twisted*) now
* 20Sqn Groundcrew Motto

Cheers for that. I wasn't aware of that.