Author Topic: Hurricane Mk Ib  (Read 711 times)

Offline Scotaidh

• Makes own decals
Re: Hurricane Mk Ib
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2019, 02:12:21 am »
I'm getting back into modelling after quite a few years and would like to ask your method / materials for such a beautiful 'hard edged' camouflage ?  I've got a Spitfire underway that really needs this.

To avoid having paint pulled up by Masking tape, I use Drafting Tape.  It's very similar to masking tape - looks the same, and all - but has less stick-um.  Sounds silly, I know, but most Masking tape is used in semi-permanent applications - sticking up posters and so on.   

Drafting Tape is designed to be pulled off without damaging the (paper) work-piece its holding down.  It is available in art supply stores that sell drafting supplies - we have one in Providence, RI - near the U district.  :)  Or - on-line.

Whilst you're at the Art Store, you might consider getting a rolled paper charcoal burnishing stick - very useful for rubbing the edge of your tape so you don't get paint bleed-under.  The paper burnisher will conform to lumps and bumps without damaging them, whilst still applying the requisite pressure.

I'm a brush-only painter, and what Narses said about cleaning your brushes is Absolute Truth.  I buy my brushes at the Art Store, and I don't buy the cheap ones because I want a nice finish.  I use oil-base paints, and clean with thinner. 

I use commercial thinner that I bought in a gallon can, which I used to replenish my three cleaning bottles.  First pass is the dirtiest, obviously.  I clean until I can no longer see colour on a paper napkin.  Second pass is to finish cleaning the brush, and the third is insurance.  Sorry if you already know this - I do tend to pontificate - but I find these days that things I thought were common knowledge, taught in every primary art class - are not, and if you're not going to take care of your brushes then you might as well just use your fingers.
"We're all here because we're not all there."

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2019, 02:36:41 am »
The first problem is finding the art store........... :(
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline Hank McCoy

• Out of the Whiffing Closet
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2019, 08:47:46 am »
Thanks for these quick replies.  I just happened to pick up a roll of thin Tamiya tape recently, so I'll start with it.  I do know a shop in Ottawa where I think I might find the other tape and hopefully the burnishing stick (which sounds very interesting.)  I airbrush almost exclusively - I've never succeeded with brush painting as shown on this Hurricane.   I now use Tamiya acrylics as they spray very well and clean up very quickly with water  and  SIMPLE  GREEN   and  MEAN  GREAN  bio degradable cleaners.  I'm on a rural well and septic system so I don't want to use anything solvent based.   I'm in Canada so I don't know if these products are available elsewhere.   I also extensively use FUTURE,  now called PLEDGE  FLOOR  CLEANER   for clear gloss and  between coats.   I like Tamiya CLEAR  FLAT  but not so fond of their CLEAR  GLOSS.    Biggest problem with Tamiya is a lack of 'official' colours but they have been adding to that.   Mixing to their instructions is really not that difficult but I would like to see more FS595 colours in their range.

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2019, 07:02:45 am »
The first problem is finding the art store........... :(

It's the opposite for me Kit. 3 or 4 art shops, including one in walking distance, but no model shops  :-\

Whilst you're at the Art Store, you might consider getting a rolled paper charcoal burnishing stick - very useful for rubbing the edge of your tape so you don't get paint bleed-under.  The paper burnisher will conform to lumps and bumps without damaging them, whilst still applying the requisite pressure.

That sounds interesting  :thumbsup: No matter how long you've been doing something you can always learn something new  :thumbsup:

First pass is the dirtiest, obviously.  I clean until I can no longer see colour on a paper napkin.  Second pass is to finish cleaning the brush, and the third is insurance. 

Exactly what I do even with acrylics. First pass is "dirty" water, second pass is the thinners/brush cleaner, final pass is the clean water.

Decals my @r$e!

Offline Glenn Gilbertson

• Had fish & chips in Hull once
  • Remembers when Airfix kits cost 2s (0.10)
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2019, 10:33:13 am »
Plausible Hurricane - and very well modelled. :thumbsup:

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2019, 06:22:08 am »
Thanks Glen
Decals my @r$e!