Ah bwoke ba dose

Started by Gondor, April 06, 2019, 03:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

So this is yet another project idea that I am starting and which I will probably never complete.

The idea is that almost every kind of F-4 version has been done except a side by side version!

So lats start with a few pictures, first the base kit

Next the possible doner kits for the nose

Another posible side by side option

And the three noses

Left to right is F-102, F-14 and A-6 as possible replacement nose options.

My thought was that someone around the late 1960's decided the F-4 could be used to carry a larger radar and longer ranged missile in a simmilar way to what the F-14 developed to do.

At the moment my idea is to replace the nose area forward of the wings with a side by side cockpit with the air intakes rotted downwards and under the cockpit. It's only rough at the moment but the idea is there.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Tophe

I feel this is an interesting project, no matter if you actually complete it or not (in plastic). As a dream, this is a good what-if idea 'and a drawing could be done - I have no basis to that for a F-4 but I could do it for a Mirage 5 with Corel Draw 2018))..
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

loupgarou

You could also use a EA-6B Prowler for a quadriplace.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Weaver

Well if you're going for rotated, TF-102-style intakes and a radar, then I'd pick the Lightning front end and stick a big radome on it in place of the nose intake. The T-55 nose section is distinctly V-shaped in cross-section and several advanced Lightning proposals had side intakes in exactly the place you suggest.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Tophe

Quote from: Tophe on April 06, 2019, 07:36:51 PM
I have no basis to that for a F-4 but I could do it for a Mirage 5 with Corel Draw 2018))..
Yes, here is the Mirage one, thanks for this idea.
In French "Side by Side" is "Côte à Côte", and while the SS code is forbidden since the 1940s, Cot-Cot sounds like a joke, because this is the way a chicken speaks...
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Gondor

I have both the T.55 and the TF-102 and as yet have not made up my mind which I will use as a basis for the "conversion" and as yet I have not decided what I will use for the canopy either.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Devilfish

I like the idea.  If it's going to be carrying a larger radar ala Tomcat, why not use the F-14 nose?  Also, the intakes....why not make them NACA type rather than moving them under the fuselage?

Gondor

Quote from: Devilfish on April 10, 2019, 07:44:29 AM
I like the idea.  If it's going to be carrying a larger radar ala Tomcat, why not use the F-14 nose?  Also, the intakes....why not make them NACA type rather than moving them under the fuselage?
[/q]

The Tomcat nose is not that much larger than .F-102 nose, see my first posting for an out of focus picture of both. What I am thinking of is something similar to a cross between the TF-102 and A-6 with possibly a bit of twin seat Lightning thrown in for good measure with the air intakes a bit like those on the A-6 but larger to take into account the intake size of the F-4 but not necessarily in the same rectangular shape.

Gondor

Captain Canada

Cool. Hard to pick your nose ?

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor