Author Topic: 1:72 Boeing V-44 Quad Tilt Rotor  (Read 1640 times)

Offline jalles

• Kitbasher
1:72 Boeing V-44 Quad Tilt Rotor
« on: March 10, 2019, 08:01:48 am »
Well, I'm going to try to build a Boeing Quad Tilt Rotor.  This was meant to be a bigger brother to the V-22 Osprey, there were many proposals but I'm going with one that would use the same engines, outer wings, and nacelles as the V-22. Construction will be similar to my other builds, 3D printed molds and vacuform shells. I'm also going to print an inner frame to wrap the shell around. I'm hoping to build a basic interior and have the rear ramp be able to go up and down, although if I get bogged down I may drop that idea. I'd also like to use four bladed rotors, but I only have two V-22 kits so I need four more blades. I'm thinking of casting more blades in resin, but I've never done that before so I'll see how things go and if I have time I'll give that a go.  Here's how the beast is supposed to look when it's done.

Quad-Tilt-Rotor-Image by Jason Alles, on Flickr

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • Whiffing since the 70s
Re: 1:72 Boeing V-44 Quad Tilt Rotor
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 09:28:34 am »
Doesn't it have any fins aft at all?  :o

Or perhaps the rear engine/rotors provide enough area for stability?
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline kerick

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 09:32:13 am »
Quite a project! I'll be watching this one!
There's someone in my head, but it's not me!

Offline kitnut617

• That's got his tum rumbling already just by the sound of it.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 12:40:56 pm »
Doesn't it have any fins aft at all?  :o

It depends on what art work you choose Kit, some have a fin and some don't.  The photos of the wind tunnel model that was tested had a fin.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Offline jalles

• Kitbasher
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 02:16:41 pm »
It depends on what art work you choose Kit, some have a fin and some don't.  The photos of the wind tunnel model that was tested had a fin.

Yeah, from what I can tell, early proposals had a vertical stabilizer later proposals got rid of it. I guess if it's not needed for directional stability or control it's just dead weight.

Online strobez

• Full scale Arrow in basement
  • "Oh, that shouldn't be too hard to do..."
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 03:21:42 pm »
Wow... thatís a really great idea.  Maybe you can still use it next time...

What!? Oh, didnít you hear? The Flying Machines of Unconventional Means GB was cancelled... didnít you get the memo? Larry was supposed to let everyone know.  It was just... yíknow... not the right time. We all just decided...

Anyway, itís too bad... because that wouldíve probably been ANOTHER GB winning project... oh, well... itís not like you needed another trophy for he case, right?

Oh, and I should probably mention that, due to some technical issues, we canít lock any of the GB threads... but thereíll be no reason to come back and read any more, because of the cancellation and all... so... just carry on and go about your day...

Cheers.

:wacko:
Thanks!

Greg

Offline Old Wombat

• Armour: The Gods of War love it!
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 07:19:50 pm »

What!? Oh, didnít you hear? The Flying Machines of Unconventional Means GB was cancelled... didnít you get the memo? Larry was supposed to let everyone know.  It was just... yíknow... not the right time. We all just decided...

Anyway, itís too bad... because that wouldíve probably been ANOTHER GB winning project... oh, well... itís not like you needed another trophy for he case, right?

Oh, and I should probably mention that, due to some technical issues, we canít lock any of the GB threads... but thereíll be no reason to come back and read any more, because of the cancellation and all... so... just carry on and go about your day...

Cheers.

Coward! ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Online strobez

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 09:49:08 pm »
Dude... this is jalles weíre talking about... half measures wonít cut it. :o
Thanks!

Greg

Offline jalles

• Kitbasher
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 07:41:25 am »

Cheers.

Ha, Ha! I appreciate your confidence in my skills  ;)  But come on, there are a lot of talented folks here (you included), anyone could go home with the win. Besides, isn't the journey it's own reward  :mellow:

Okay on to the build, not much progress but here's a picture of the molds for the vacuform and a size comparison to a normal V-22.

1:72 Boeing Quad Tilt Rotor by Jason Alles, on Flickr

Offline kitnut617

• That's got his tum rumbling already just by the sound of it.
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 11:46:24 am »
Now what have you used as the donor for that Jason ?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Offline jalles

• Kitbasher
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 01:11:08 pm »
Now what have you used as the donor for that Jason ?

The donor for the Quad Tilt Rotor? It's 3D printed from CAD files I created. I'll be using the engines, rotors, and outer wings of two Italeri V-22s.

Offline AeroplaneDriver

• Not licensed to do this sort of thing
  • What-IF SIG
  • Busy repainting the Jetstream in Red Arrows colors
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 01:25:29 pm »
I really like the look of this one...having said that it looks like it might be a bit interesting to fly in an asymmetrical thrust situation...rudders tend to come in useful at times...lol

Beautiful work so far!
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Offline zenrat

• Currently on double secret probation.
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 04:07:48 am »

Cheers.

Coward! ;D

It's not the winning, it's the taking part...
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Offline Captain Canada

• "but this time it's different. I was drunk when I agreed to it."
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 06:31:35 am »
Wow ! That is too cool and great that you are able to print and vac like that ! Keep the updates coming !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Online strobez

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 06:56:33 am »
It's not the winning, it's the taking part...

Yes, of course. But the cash prize, global fame and dancing girls for the winners brings out my competitive side.  ;D
Thanks!

Greg