BAC TSR2 XR219 (pics restored to thread Mar 7)

Started by dwomby, March 05, 2019, 02:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwomby

I am reposting at the request of the moderators:

BAC TSR2 XR219.   

She's built from the Merlin kit and has Airfix decals provided by my great friend Cammnut.  In hindsight, I think I should have used a lighter shade for the area of the blown flaps on the upper wings but, on the whole, I am pretty happy with how she turned out.

This is what she started as.

This is what she looked like at a few stages in building.  Apart from the abysmal fit, I was missing a major part of the fuselage. I must have used half a pound of filler on her.

Thanks for looking. 

David

TheChronicOne

Turned out great, bud!!   :wub: :wub:
-Sprues McDuck-

The Wooksta!

Fantastic job on probably one of the worst model kits ever.  :thumbsup:

That'd the third one I've seen built in about 30 years.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

What The Wooksta said!  :o

That's an ASTONISHING result from a real dog of a kit! I've got one too, but there's NO way I'd ever think about building it nowadays.

RESPECT!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

AeroplaneDriver

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Tophe

Quote from: dwomby on March 05, 2019, 02:44:58 PM
Here's my rendition of the great lost opportunity: BAC TSR2 XR219.   This is the only TSR2 that ever flew.
This is a beautiful model you have made. If the source was imperfect, you deserve a double dose of clapping hands. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Tophe on March 06, 2019, 01:36:18 AM

If the source was imperfect, you deserve a double dose of clapping hands.

Imperfect?

That's the most generous description of a Merlin kit I've ever read!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

That wonderful job you made of the 'kit' will always serve to remind us that a Merlin 'kit' CAN be made into a superb model!

Regards
Kit

AeroplaneDriver

A great build of a true missed opportunity for the UK both in terms of defence and industry.  And plenty of us post pics of real world aircraft builds.  This one being whiffier than most.   
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Scotaidh

I'm not familiar with the kit manufacturer, but by all accounts you turned a sow's ear into a silk purse.  I really like the TSR.2, and your rendition looked great.  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

kitnut617

You've done a very credible job on that kit David, wasn't the Merlin kit the only injection kit of the TSR2 at the time ? I know about the vacuforms and resin kits.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

dwomby

Quote from: kitnut617 on March 07, 2019, 09:23:29 AM
You've done a very credible job on that kit David, wasn't the Merlin kit the only injection kit of the TSR2 at the time ? I know about the vacuforms and resin kits.

Thanks.  Yes, I am sure you are right and this was the only injected kit of the TSR2 until Airfix released theirs.   

If you think about it, this was a very bold subject for Merlin to try with the technology they had available back then.  I think all their other models are smaller aircraft.  I have built their Meteor and Swift and I still have the Vampire T11 in the stash along with a second TSR2.  This kit actually seems pretty accurate and has some nice recessed detail but the fit is terrible due to warpage of the various major parts.  It comes packed in a tiny box (about the size of the old Airfix Series 2 boxes).

I bought two of them at a shop outside San Francisco in the late 1990s.  They must have had over a dozen of them on the shelf - all very dusty!!!!

David

Gondor

That's a great result from one hell of a model

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

I've heard so many stories about this kit, but have never seen a built example before. All I can say is that it looks absolutely stunning.

Fantastic work  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.