RSAF Goshawk

Started by Scotaidh, March 02, 2019, 12:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotaidh

Many of you remember Nonobar's beautiful Scottish F-16, with those lovely decals.  He was kind enough to send me some, so I decided to follow suit, so to speak.

Fighters are all very well, but a full-function air force also needs bomb-carriers, so to that end I made one.  I had an F-16XL in the SSR, and it has become ... this.

RSAF Goshawk 001
All dressed up for a Tiger Meet. I was going to go with a metallic gold stripe down the back, but it was so ... bright. This bronze, I believe, is less showy whilst still holding to the yellow colour-family established by Nonobars. The stripes were hand-drawn with a marker.
A couple of points for explanation. I went with 'Royal Scottish Armed Forces' in stead of 'Air Force' because I admire what Canada did with their military - it always seemed very common-sense. Also, rather like the CAF, the Scottish Armed Forces will always be smaller and much more defence-oriented than their more belligerent counterparts of other countries who seem to feel the need to make some kind of point about their relative importance world-wide. Scots already know that "If it isn't Scottish, it's crap!", so why even boast? Rather like gilding the lily, old boy. ;)
I looked up "Raptors Native to Scotland" (because this is, after all, a species of falcon), and decided to go with Goshawk for a couple of reasons.
Firstly, Goshawlks are defined thus: "A large hawk. When seen close to it has a fierce expression with bright red eyes and a distinctive white eyebrow. Its broad wings enable it to hunt at high speed, weaving in and out of trees, and its long legs and talons..." - the 'broad wings' and 'high speed' bits fit the XL.
Second, I like the name.
Third, the name hasn't really been used anywhere to my knowledge. (The USN's "Goshawk" is really just a Hawk under a different flag, so I'm ignoring it.)
Fourth, it is (or will be) in Scottish colours, so it needs to be a Scottish raptor.

RSAF Goshawk 002
Lots yet to do - the port wing-tip missile rail came off whilst drawing the stripes, so there's that. Also, need ot over-paint (again) the ends of the stripes where they go too far. I won't bore you with all the details - I'm sure you know them all already. :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Tophe

:wub: I love this other twin-fin F-16! :thumbsup: :bow:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Scotaidh

RSAF Goshawk 003
This kit is intended to be strictly a missile-carrier, but I found a picture of one of these carrying a truck-load of bombs, so here we are. The inner ARAAMs are retained. Research showed that the latest iteration of these missiles has the fins clipped, a light grey body with a white nose-cap.

RSAF Goshawk 004 I couldn't find enough bombs of a single type in my spares box - I had six Mk 82 Snake Eyes, and six GP bombs. So, the Snake-eyes are on one pylon and the GPs on another because we wouldn't want the pilot to pickle off the wrong type in the stress of combat. The Snake-eyes will go to any low-level targets - AAA, etc. - and the GPs to anything else.

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Scotaidh

RSAF Goshawk 005
I'm not sure why this happened. My clear gloss has never done this before - and only to one wing.   :banghead:  Yes, same gloss varnish I've used before, over the same paints - Humbrols. 

I'm going to have to re-do the stbd wing, for sure, and the tiger-stripes on it. Now that I'm getting used to it, the "run" effect is kinda cool - suggesting (to me, anyway) that the aircraft out-ran its paint.

What do you think?

kerick

I've had this happen on several different projects lately. Sometimes just from a second coat over the same paint! Enough to drive a guy nuts! No idea what causes it.  :banghead: :banghead:
You could blame it on aerodynamic heating from Mach whatever speed?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Rick Lowe

Yes, annoying. I don't know about the crackling on the paint, but I've had a marker run before when I brushed Klear over it, so know your pain... I thought it should have been absorbed/keyed a little into the matt white I used, but no...

Scotaidh

I'm just going to repaint the whole thing.   :angry:  Of course this happened after I got the ordnance (finally!) in place ...  :banghead:

Ah, well - if it was easy blah blah blah.  :)

NARSES2

I've had it happen when using matt varnish aerosols before and no real reason, or one I could think of. One of the most frustrating, infuriating things that can happen. My commiserations.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nönöbär

Have you used some kind of thinner on your gloss? I had this once when I used some kind of "incompatible" thinner for the airbrush. Or is it simply too old?
Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

Scotaidh

Quote from: nönöbär on March 17, 2019, 06:36:59 AM
Have you used some kind of thinner on your gloss? I had this once when I used some kind of "incompatible" thinner for the airbrush. Or is it simply too old?

It's from a spray can I got years ago, so it may be old.  It was a sunny day when I used it, but it was still very 'brisk', as they say in England.  I guess it was in the 40s (Fahrenheit), and I used the stuff in the garage because it's nasty to breathe.  It may have been too cold to cure properly - but then, why was only one wing affected?

I sprayed the whole thing in one go.  The aircraft was standing on its tail.  I worked my way around it, making sure I side-shot the ordnance and top of the intake ... and only that one area did that.

dwomby

You have my sympathy (not that it's any help to you).  Good luck restoring this to its previous beauty..

David

Scotaidh

RSAF Goshawk 006

Repainted all the upper surfaces. This time time the stripes were done with black paint and a brush, not a marker. During this the pitot got snapped off - twice. :/ Once the black paint is dry, it being a nice and fairly warm day out, I'll re-try that gloss spray. Fingers crossed it behaves this time! :)

(Yes - a bit out of focus.  Trust me, it's the best snap of the lot.  A photographer I am not, unlike my friend SiaoMouse.)

zenrat

I'm crossing my fingers for you.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..