Beardmore-Mitsubishi Méirinn A5M, No1 Sqn Royal Scots Airforce, Turnhouse 1938

Started by Doug K, February 21, 2019, 04:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug K

As can be seen in my Siskin post http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,46277.msg836399/topicseen.html#msg836399
The Royal Scot Airforce had a gap in technology and capability during the 1930s. The drip-feed of ex-RAF machines was steady but were recognised as being (at best) second-line aircraft and certainly were not up to the defence of the nation against the fighters emerging from various countries in this time.

The Beardmore company of Dumbartonshire were well known as builders of early warplanes saw an opportunity but they realised their own skills were not up to date, so a decision was made to seek a partner for license manufacture of a more up to date fighter. The government initially thought of the Polikarpov I-16, but while the enthusiasm of the Clydeside Reds in the Scottish government helped in the delivery of 2 examples, but no information on licensing to build the aircraft in Scotland. The deal stopped there.

Slightly surprisingly Beardmore (as a ship builder) knew the history of Mitsubishi in Japan, including that of the founder, Thomas Blake Glover. Glover was an Aberdonian merchant (and part time gun runner) during the Meiji restoration, the Scottish connection was attractive to the board. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Blake_Glover

To this end, they approached Japan for access to the A5M family of fighters. Combat proven and far better than the Siskins in service at that time in Glasgow and Edinburgh, the little fighter seems to beeverythizg that was required (except perhaps for an enclosed cockpit, given the West of Scotland weather).

The Japanese government liked the Glover connection too, and authorised Mitsubishi to share the technical information in order to build them in Scotland also shipping 4 prototypes in kit form. This decision was a surprise but the Zero was about to go into service.

The aircraft were assembled and first flew in early 1938, with an order for a further 6 imediatley placed by the Scottish Government, who with unsurprising parochialism, assigned them to 1 Sqn, City of Edinburgh....

Of course as rearmament was in full swing across the Empire, there were concerns expressed by London over the relationship with a rival in the Far East, and a promise of more up to date technology from within the Imperial family of nations.

Thus the 10 Méirin were the only types of their kind in service. As 1939 became 1940 the aircraft were steadily lost to attrition - due to issues with parts and accidents. But for a couple of years the Méirinn was Scotland's first monoplane fighter and much was learned prior to hostilities.

The model is Hobby Boss easy-assembly kit which is surprisingly good. It went together well and needed almost no glue. Very impressive. Méirinn is Gaelic for Merlin, by the way.

IMG_1487 by doug_alba, on Flickr

IMG_1484 by doug_alba, on Flickr

IMG_1499 by doug_alba, on Flickr

You will also notice this was a transition period in terms of markings. When the Royal Scots Airforce was formed, there was some discussion over the markings to apply. Initial ideas of using the Saltire were unpopular due to memories of "crosses" on aircraft during WW1. Hence the use of the correct blue in the various stripes initially. However, following a visit to the Irish Air Corps by several senior officers, the Celtic boss design was seen as a solution. Initially appearing in the wheel hubs of No2 Sqn it was more widely adopted by the service and became standard in 1938.

IMG_1498 by doug_alba, on Flickr

Tophe

Quote from: Doug K on February 21, 2019, 04:44:02 AM
You will also notice this was a transition period in terms of markings.
the Celtic boss design was seen as a solution.
It looks like the yin & yang symbol in Buddhist Asia or something, logical for a Mitsubishi plane, somehow...
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Old Wombat

Quote from: Tophe on February 21, 2019, 06:26:13 AM
Quote from: Doug K on February 21, 2019, 04:44:02 AM
You will also notice this was a transition period in terms of markings.
the Celtic boss design was seen as a solution.
It looks like the yin & yang symbol in Buddhist Asia or something, logical for a Mitsubishi plane, somehow...

Like the swastika, there are quite a few symbols common across all of Asia & Europe.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TallEng

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 21, 2019, 07:13:52 AM
Another neat build  :thumbsup:

I 2nd that.
I suppose a Gladiator style canopy might work if it was considered necessery?

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Doug K

Quote from: TallEng on February 21, 2019, 08:33:09 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on February 21, 2019, 07:13:52 AM
Another neat build  :thumbsup:

I 2nd that.

Regards
Keith

I did consider it but as they also operated in Hokkaido and Manchuria - colder and wetter than Scotland in winter - I just went straight from the box

Doug K

Thanks all, you will notice of course that the backstory leaves an opening for the Rata too.  ;D
Gladiator next though

NARSES2

Quote from: Doug K on February 21, 2019, 09:33:52 AM

Regards
Keith

I did consider it but as they also operated in Hokkaido and Manchuria - colder and wetter than Scotland in winter - I just went straight from the box
[/quote]

Yup with the pilots wearing sheepskin jackets, which should be plentiful north of the border  ;)

The first A5M's had a canopy and it was the pilots innate "conservatism" that led to it being dropped. Something that happened in many countries. Just wonder if the Scottish AF would have been a little more forward thinking and then the pilots simply flew with the hood open as seemed to happen a lot anyway ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

The A5M is a great looking little aircraft.
I wonder if there should be a missing link between it and the A6M - basically an A5M with canopy and retracting undercarriage?

Another good job Doug.

:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

comrade harps

Whatever.

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on February 22, 2019, 04:08:37 PM

I wonder if there should be a missing link between it and the A6M - basically an A5M with canopy and retracting undercarriage?

Indeed and as said it was designed with a canopy.

Perhaps one with floats ? Be useful for all those lochs  ;)

Doug K

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 23, 2019, 02:28:47 AM
Quote from: zenrat on February 22, 2019, 04:08:37 PM

Indeed and as said it was designed with a canopy.

Perhaps one with floats ? Be useful for all those lochs  ;)

With a single float á la the A6M2 perhaps? 😉