An interesting observation

Started by rickshaw, February 20, 2019, 05:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

The national preference for the number of propeller blades an aircraft uses.

In the UK, the maximum number appears to have been five.
In the US, the maximum number appears to have been four.  Does anybody know of the US testing/employing five bladed or more propellers?
In Germany, the maximum appears to have been four.
In Japan, the maximum appears to have been five.
In Russia, the maximum appears to have been four.

Now, I wnder why the US and Russia never advanced beyond four blades?   I am aware that they occasionally used contra-rotating propellers.  However in single propeller applications, four appears to have been the maximum.   I wonder why?

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

kerick

Hmmm...... interesting indeed.

Are you thinking commercial, military or civilian? Or all together?
In general aviation the popular choice seems to be three blades. Military, up to recently, definitely four. Commercial four up to recently with the new five, six or more blades.
Perhaps its the same thing that holds up old rickety buildings..........tradition!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Weaver

Perhaps in the countries that only got up to four blades, they made an earlier/firmer decision to go straight to contra-props, thus making the step to five blades unnecessary? In the UK at least, there was a time-consuming debate over the relative merits of five-bladed props vs contra-props that led to both being seen.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

rickshaw

Quote from: kerick on February 20, 2019, 06:42:20 PM

In general aviation the popular choice seems to be three blades. Military, up to recently, definitely four. Commercial four up to recently with the new five, six or more blades.
Perhaps its the same thing that holds up old rickety buildings..........tradition!

Mmm, OK, perhaps I should have been more specific?  How about World War Two, with piston engines.  OK?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on February 21, 2019, 02:41:52 AM

Mmm, OK, perhaps I should have been more specific?  How about World War Two, with piston engines.  OK?

Doesn't H's point still hold good? Supermarine tried both solutions on the later Spitfires and only seemed to come down on contra-props as the ideal because of the horrendous torque effects from the 5 bladed Griffon engine versions.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Well I'll be blowed. I had these very thoughts myself traveling down on the train Monday.

Been reading my mind mate ?  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

It is a matter of blade area, rotation speed, and other aspects that define the prop design. Japan actually tested six-bladed props in WWII, but they were found to be impractical because the blades' blur was so strong that the pilot would not clearly see anything in front... Not good for a fighter, and landing might have been rather hazardous this way, too. More blades means more complexity, but when you want to transform the engine's power into propulsion and simply cannot increase the prop's diameter (the Spitfire is a good case), the only option is to add a blade or two... With side effects, like torque and drag. It's always a compromise.
And in recent time the number of blades (e. g. on turboprops) increased because the props have to run run slower in order to keep blade tip and frequency noise withing acceptable (legal) limits.

Lord_Voyager

Japan was moving towards 6 blades with their Shinden  ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyushu_J7W ) and the Americans were heading towards contra-rotating 3 and 4 blade props at the end of the war with their XP-56 Black Bullet ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_XP-56_Black_Bullet ) If you're thinking about bombers and heavier aircraft, the whole line of Boeing was going to go that way (think Tu-95 Bear)

Curtis had a notion to put the same contra-rotating prop from the Seafire Fr-47 as a racing plane based on the P-40Q but beyond a few drawings, it never went anywhere... That had 8 blades and a massive tail.

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 21, 2019, 08:30:57 AM
Japan actually tested six-bladed props in WWII, but they were found to be impractical because the blades' blur was so strong that the pilot would not clearly see anything in front...

Interesting, I'd never considered that. Perhaps one of the reasons the Shinden was a pusher ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 21, 2019, 06:20:17 AM

Doesn't H's point still hold good? Supermarine tried both solutions on the later Spitfires and only seemed to come down on contra-props as the ideal because of the horrendous torque effects from the 5 bladed Griffon engine versions.

Torque was an issue with the Supermarine Schneider Trophy seaplanes (one float would dig in) and they only had two blades.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on February 22, 2019, 04:54:14 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 21, 2019, 06:20:17 AM

Torque was an issue with the Supermarine Schneider Trophy seaplanes (one float would dig in) and they only had two blades.

Noooooooooo, I wasn't suggesting that the 5 bladed prop was the cause of the torque issues on those specific Spitfire marks.

The monster torque was due to the equally monster Griffon engine, which incidentally was almost the same capacity as the 'R' engine in the S6Bs. The use of the contra-prop on the later marks that used the same engine cancelled that torque out totally.

Supermarine tried to sort out the problem on the S6Bs by making one float longer than the other.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

The R made more power than the Griffon.  But then it did run on a mixture of benzole, methanol, acetone and tetra ethyl lead.

Would an S6B with a five bladed prop flip itself onto its back if the throttle was blipped?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitnut617

I've read that increasing the amount of blades actually helps to combat the torque affect, Hawker Typhoon 3-blade to 4-blade for instance, or the Sea Fury switching to 5-blade from 4-blades.

IIRC, I read that when I subscribed to AEHS* some years ago.

* Aircraft Engine Historical Society
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

rickshaw

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 21, 2019, 06:52:44 AM
Well I'll be blowed. I had these very thoughts myself traveling down on the train Monday.

Ah, but are yours fostered by the same reasons mine are?

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on February 23, 2019, 09:52:07 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on February 21, 2019, 06:52:44 AM

Ah, but are yours fostered by the same reasons mine are?

Don't touch Fosters mate. Solely a bitter man  ;) :cheers: