F-23A photo recon version

Started by kerick, February 08, 2019, 03:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

As I've mentioned before I'm going to attempt an F-23 recon build. I have the required kit thanks to the Big Gimper so now I no longer have any excuses. I found an interesting article on the changes that would have been made to make an F-23 production aircraft.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/24911/this-is-what-a-northrop-f-23a-wouldve-looked-like-if-lockheed-lost-the-atf-competition

I'll make the changes I can without hacking up the whole kit. Inlet shape is very different but that will be easy. I was going to lengthen the fuselage anyway so that's no problem. Changes to the rear fuselage will be much more difficult and would require almost a total scratch build in that area so not likely. At least this makes inaccuracy problems with the kit irrelevant. Biggest problem right now is the paint scheme. All black like an SR-71 or shades of grey? What if I custom mix some grey with a touch of blue? What do you think?
Wish me luck!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

scooter

Quote from: kerick on February 08, 2019, 03:25:46 PMBiggest problem right now is the paint scheme. All black like an SR-71 or shades of grey? What if I custom mix some grey with a touch of blue? What do you think?
Wish me luck!

Lozenge? :wacko:  What about a Euro One or SW Asian scheme?
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kerick

I was going for high altitude work. Sort of an SR-71 replacement. The YF-23 had higher altitude, higher speed and better stealth than the F-22 so I thought that would make it a good candidate. So low altitude camo wasn't what I was thinking of. I guess I should have mentioned that. BTW I'm using the Italeri kit in 1/72.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

kerick

Here is the starting pic.

Actually there is some good detail on this kit. The landing gear and ejection seat look pretty good on the sprues. The fuselage looks good overall but the inlets and exhaust need work. The inlets will get changed drastically anyway. There is a weapons bay that's not too bad but it will probably get closed up. I'll be cutting through the middle of that so it will be lost anyway. Maybe tomorrow I will stop planning and start building.
Tophe the Wise

scooter

Quote from: kerick on February 08, 2019, 05:54:11 PM
I was going for high altitude work. Sort of an SR-71 replacement. The YF-23 had higher altitude, higher speed and better stealth than the F-22 so I thought that would make it a good candidate. So low altitude camo wasn't what I was thinking of. I guess I should have mentioned that. BTW I'm using the Italeri kit in 1/72.

Pale Blue then, like the Tacit Blue stealth demonstrator?

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Quote from: scooter on February 09, 2019, 12:44:32 AM

But a LOT prettier!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

nighthunter

Now you've inspired me to check out the Trumpeter 1/144 YF-23 to "correct" and make a joint Boeing-Northrop project
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

McColm

Maybe the experimental colour scheme applied to a Jaguar GR1 XC XZ103, light aircraft grey with the upper surfaces painted in desert pink when it took part in trials during 2002 at China Lake, California. From the book  'Cold War Jets, Royal Air  Force  Fighters and Bombers 1943-2007' by Chris Sandham-Bailey.

kerick

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 09, 2019, 03:43:25 AM
Quote from: scooter on February 09, 2019, 12:44:32 AM

That blue is very intriguing!

Quote from: nighthunter on February 09, 2019, 05:57:20 AM
Now you've inspired me to check out the Trumpeter 1/144 YF-23 to "correct" and make a joint Boeing-Northrop project

There is word going around about how Northrop is working with the Japanese to build a stealth aircraft and speculation is it might resemble an F-23.

Tophe the Wise

DogfighterZen

Nice to see a build of the YF-23! :thumbsup:
I built one of those and i can tell you that the landing gear is very fragile, the right main gear leg oon mine started to bend with the model's own weight and ended up breaking when i set it down after a dusting session.
That kit needs a lot of work to make a production version but i do have one in the stash that i bought with that in mind, just not sure if my skills are up for the task... :rolleyes:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

kerick

Quote from: DogfighterZen on February 19, 2019, 03:49:27 AM
Nice to see a build of the YF-23! :thumbsup:
I built one of those and i can tell you that the landing gear is very fragile, the right main gear leg oon mine started to bend with the model's own weight and ended up breaking when i set it down after a dusting session.
That kit needs a lot of work to make a production version but i do have one in the stash that i bought with that in mind, just not sure if my skills are up for the task... :rolleyes:

According to the article I found the biggest problem with doing a production version as they describe it is the rear fuselage. The placement of the engines is quite different and would require a total rebuild.
Now if real life would get out of my way I might be able to do something with this bird!  :banghead:
Tophe the Wise

Dizzyfugu

For a real high altitude camouflage I'd suggest something dark/dull from below (e. g. a very dark blue, black or dark grey), since the atmosphere is thin and there's nothing left to reflect the light that comes from below, and probably something light from above - the uniform bluish grey from Tacit Blue (FS 36320 or 35450?) is IMHO a good option, or try a two-tone scheme like the U-2s that were based in UK and Germany (FS 36622 and 35190, IIRC)?

kerick

Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts on this. The idea of dark color on the bottom and light on top is a reversal I had not thought of. I'll also check out the U-2 patterns. Otherwise it will be something dark all around. I'll have to look into the color differences seen on stealth aircraft with a lighter color surrounding all the openings in the skin of the aircraft. Anyone know what that is about? It seems to be very distinct on some aircraft and barely noticeable on others.
Tophe the Wise

Dizzyfugu

I'd assume that it is the individual application of radar-absorbing paint or material in these areas, or donor parts from other aircraft.

kerick

Yeah, I was thinking something like that too. A different paint or material for increased radar absorbing properties. But that's just a guess. (I have to say that to keep the black helicopters away......)
Tophe the Wise