Author Topic: 1:24 Bentley 4.5l "Blower" (Heller kit, real world)  (Read 495 times)

Offline Dizzyfugu

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
    • Lots of works in my FlickR gallery
1:24 Bentley 4.5l "Blower" (Heller kit, real world)
« on: January 30, 2019, 12:47:55 am »
Building the kit and its display box:
I normally do not build large scale kits, except for some anime character figures, and I especially stay away from car models because I find it very hard to come close to the impression of the real thing. But this one was a personal thing, and I got motivated enough to tackle this challenge that caused some sweat and shivers. Another reason for the tension was the fact that it was intended as a present - and I normally do not build models for others, be it as a gift or on a contract work basis.

The background is that a colleage of mine will retire soon, an illustrator and a big oldtimer enthusiast at the same time. I was not able to hunt down a model of the vintage car he actually owns, but I remembered that he frequently takes part with his club at a local car exhibition, called the "Classic Days" at a location called Schloss Dyck. There he had had the opportunity some time ago to take a ride in a Bentley 4.5 litre "Blower", and I saw the fascinationn in his eyes when he recounted the events. We also talked about car models, and I mentioned the 1:24 Heller kit of the car. So, as a "farewell" gift, I decided to tackle this souvenir project, since the Bentley drive obviously meant a lot to him, and it's a quite personal gift, for a respected, artistic person.

And this is what became of it:

1:24 Bentley 4 Litre "Blower" (Heller kit) with display box/base by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:24 Bentley 4 Litre "Blower" (Heller kit) with display box/base by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The model itself was mostly built OOB, with some minor mods/additions. The engine received some extras hoses and cables, the bonnet was opened on both sides and new/better leather straps that normally hold it closed added. In the cabin some floor mats were added.

Online zenrat

• Currently on double secret probation.
Re: 1:24 Bentley 4.5l "Blower" (Heller kit, real world)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 01:01:06 am »
 :bow:

Fabulous.  You might not like building cars but you've done a great job with this one.

:thumbsup:
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Offline Dizzyfugu

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 01:24:57 am »
Thank you. Well, the Bentley turned out MUCH better than ever expected - even without the use of an airbrush!

Offline Leading Observer

• Full scale Arrow in basement
  • Observation - The most enduring of life's pleasure
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 01:58:58 am »
That is impressive work :thumbsup:
LO

Forewarned is Forearmed

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 02:06:11 am »
That's totally AWESOME Thomas, you can almost hear that big old engine thump and the blower scream!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 06:05:08 am »
Terrific job Thomas  :bow:
Decals my @r$e!

Offline Dizzyfugu

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 07:30:38 am »
Thank you, glad you like it. The work was also well received by the recipient.

Offline joncarrfarrelly

• Bertie Bassett
  • What-IF SIG
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 09:53:10 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Evil our grandsires were, our fathers worse;
And we, till now unmatched in ill,
Must leave successors more corrupted still."
Horace, 65BC - 8BC. Marsh translation.

Offline dumaniac

• Full scale Arrow in basement
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 01:53:41 am »
very nice indeed

Offline Sticky Fingers

• Scratchbuilds the entire model
  • Frankensteiner
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 03:49:22 am »
Wow! Not the easiest kit out there, you really did it justice, and what a great gift! :thumbsup:

Offline Dizzyfugu

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 04:16:07 am »
Thanks a lot!  ;D