1:24 Bentley 4.5l "Blower" (Heller kit, real world)

Started by Dizzyfugu, January 30, 2019, 12:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Building the kit and its display box:
I normally do not build large scale kits, except for some anime character figures, and I especially stay away from car models because I find it very hard to come close to the impression of the real thing. But this one was a personal thing, and I got motivated enough to tackle this challenge that caused some sweat and shivers. Another reason for the tension was the fact that it was intended as a present - and I normally do not build models for others, be it as a gift or on a contract work basis.

The background is that a colleage of mine will retire soon, an illustrator and a big oldtimer enthusiast at the same time. I was not able to hunt down a model of the vintage car he actually owns, but I remembered that he frequently takes part with his club at a local car exhibition, called the "Classic Days" at a location called Schloss Dyck. There he had had the opportunity some time ago to take a ride in a Bentley 4.5 litre "Blower", and I saw the fascinationn in his eyes when he recounted the events. We also talked about car models, and I mentioned the 1:24 Heller kit of the car. So, as a "farewell" gift, I decided to tackle this souvenir project, since the Bentley drive obviously meant a lot to him, and it's a quite personal gift, for a respected, artistic person.

And this is what became of it:

1:24 Bentley 4½ Litre "Blower" (Heller kit) with display box/base by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:24 Bentley 4½ Litre "Blower" (Heller kit) with display box/base by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The model itself was mostly built OOB, with some minor mods/additions. The engine received some extras hoses and cables, the bonnet was opened on both sides and new/better leather straps that normally hold it closed added. In the cabin some floor mats were added.

zenrat

:bow:

Fabulous.  You might not like building cars but you've done a great job with this one.

:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Thank you. Well, the Bentley turned out MUCH better than ever expected - even without the use of an airbrush!

Leading Observer

LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

PR19_Kit

That's totally AWESOME Thomas, you can almost hear that big old engine thump and the blower scream!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Thank you, glad you like it. The work was also well received by the recipient.

jcf

Sticky Fingers

Wow! Not the easiest kit out there, you really did it justice, and what a great gift! :thumbsup: