RN Hunter FG.13

Started by AeroplaneDriver, January 24, 2019, 11:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

The Hunter is one of my all time favorite aircraft.  The epitome of the "Jet Fighter" shape.  Today I got Airfix's new 1/48 F.6 and it looks a lovely kit.  Just the trick for me to get over the complicated and frustrating  build that my Revell Tornado F.3 has been so far.

So looking ahead a week or two to possibly starting this Hunter, I'm thinking a Royal Navy Hunter.  I LOVE the look of the GA.11 in grey/white, and the all over grey but I don't care for the blunt nose with the Harley light, and it's not a Whif...so...

When the Sea Harrier FRS.1 entered service with the Royal Navy in 1981 three Hunter T.7s were converted to T.8Ms with the Sea Harrier's Blue Fox radar to train pilots on the Blue Fox Radar. 

With the Tornado F.2 experiencing teething troubles and tensions with the Soviet Union rising the UK was looking at ways to supplement the air defence force.  The RAF began a program to upgrade 88 BAe Hawk T.1 trainers to carry AIM-9L Sidewinders in the point defense role, but these aircraft had no radar and relied on other aircraft or ground stations to vector them to intercepts.  With the Royal Navy gaining experience with the Blue Fox radar and a number of FRADU Hunter GA.11s in storage, Ferranti and BAe proposed upgrading a number of single-seat Hunter GA.11s to FG.13 standard with Avon 200 engines, Blue Fox radars, and AIM-9Ls.  Initially the refitting of the ADEN cannon pack was proposed, but the internal space was better used for new avionics, so the FG.13 was adapted to carry the same ADEN 30mm gun pod used on the Hawk. 

Following the 1982 Falklands War, the UK began enhancing key capabilities, including the purchase of surplus USN F-4Js to supplement the Phantom force.  This new round of defence spending also saw MoD begin a program to upgrade 24 Hunters to FG.13s to provide the Royal Navy with a land-based air defence fighter to supplement the RAF force. 

Though their service life was brief, retiring in 1993, the RN's Hunter FG.13 force provided a valuable addition to UK home defense in the late days of the Cold War, and twice deployed to RAF Mount Pleasant to supplement RAF Phantoms defending the Falkland Islands. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

JayBee

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on January 24, 2019, 11:33:19 PM
, and twice deployed to RAF Mount Pleasant to supplement RAF Phantoms defending the Falkland Islands.

How would they achieve that, seeing as the Hunter was not carrier capable?
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Hobbes

AA refueling, or they were ferried there by boat, and trucked to the airfield.

PR19_Kit

I like the whole idea, even better in 1/72 scale.  ;D

A Revell Hunter, with a SHAR radome and a Bucc refuelling probe. Job done.  :thumbsup:

Maybe re-engined with a Spey, it's a LONG way from Wideawake to Mt. Pleasant.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

AeroplaneDriver

The Falklands deployments were more an exercise in "can we do it?".  It took a lot of coordination with AAR (the FG.13 did indeed have a probe), but it worked and Hunters made three trips between the UK and Falklands via Ascension.  They went twice, but only returned once.  The final four deployed were left in place as retirement was looming.  One became a gate guard, and the other three given funeral pyres (fire fighting training airframes). 

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on January 25, 2019, 07:44:09 AM

One became a gate guard, and the other three given funeral pyres (fire fighting training airframes).

I'm sure my daughter (The RAF's Best Air........... etc etc.) mentioned that she'd seen that when was 'Down South' in the 2000s.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit