A jet propelled former paddle steamer

Started by Rheged, January 22, 2019, 01:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

https://www.flickr.com/photos/scottishmaritimemuseum/4834159902

This could be a JMN boggler of massive proportions!  It's genuine real world, but included with a flotilla of reasonably believable whiffed  ships it could be "interesting"
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Doug K

The Lucy Ashtray (Lucy Ashton) was famous for this, my dad talked about her regularly - he was a Clyde Steamer expert.

PR19_Kit

I like that idea.  :thumbsup:

Naturally I'm wondering about a working, large scale R/C model of her, perhaps using electric ducted fans if sailing in a quiet park or using REAL model jets for the 'full sound experience'!

It's be like having a duet of Meteors flying along at sea level.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 23, 2019, 06:02:22 AM
using REAL model jets for the 'full sound experience'!

Just what size of boating pond are you thinking of Kit?
The currently available "Model" jet engines would require a really BIG vessel, and a similarly BIG area of water to accomodate it.  :rolleyes:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

scooter

Quote from: JayBee on January 23, 2019, 06:09:49 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 23, 2019, 06:02:22 AM
using REAL model jets for the 'full sound experience'!

Just what size of boating pond are you thinking of Kit?
The currently available "Model" jet engines would require a really BIG vessel, and a similarly BIG area of water to accomodate it.  :rolleyes:

The Thames?  :wacko:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Remember that I live in sight of the largest river in the UK, and it's a mile wide where I am......  ;D :wacko:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Doug K

I build RC ships. There are 1/96th and (I think) 1/72nd scale plans, the challenge for DFs on boats is thrust to drag ratio. I've seen DF powered airboats using LiPo batteries but of course they have planing hulls. The can also be made to work on hovercraft too.
There are restrictions on the use of jet turbines in cities 😉.

I've given this some thought in the past 😂

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 23, 2019, 09:45:37 AM
Remember that I live in sight of the largest river in the UK, and it's a mile wide where I am......  ;D :wacko:

Now that's the first time I've seen "largest" applied to the description of a river ? Now given the Thames is the longest. do you mean the largest volume of water ? Just interested.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 24, 2019, 05:56:48 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 23, 2019, 09:45:37 AM

Now that's the first time I've seen "largest" applied to the description of a river ? Now given the Thames is the longest. do you mean the largest volume of water ? Just interested.

It isn't, the Severn is the longest at 220 miles, albeit some of it goes through Wales, but it's all in the UK, at the moment anyway.

The Thames is 215 miles long, and is the longest river entirely in England.

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Ooops, yup I should have remembered that  :banghead:

Mind you I've seen some interesting discussions on how much of a river's estuary should be included in any measurement which can change things considerably.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I think the Severn is counted as far as the New Severn Bridge (or the Second Severn Crossing as they call it officially  :banghead:)

Whether they counted it as far as that BEFORE they built the new bridge I'm not sure, but it's only another 3.5 miles down river from the Old Severn Bridge.

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

I was always told that the Thames is measured down to Tilbury, but to be honest I've no idea if that was true or not. I just trusted Mr Hobdale our geography master  ;)

Nick

The River Thames is considered to end at the Nore Sandbank in the middle of the Estuary where the Thames meets the North Sea. That's the official position of the Port of London Authority.

Why your Mr Hobdale thought it was Tilbury is another matter altogether. :rolleyes:

I went to Hartlepool to see HMS Trincomalee, next to her is the former Humber paddle steamer Wingfield Castle. Bit of work and she'd be ready for jet power! Might need a pair of RB199s to make her move though.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Nick on February 17, 2019, 09:16:23 AM

I went to Hartlepool to see HMS Trincomalee, next to her is the former Humber paddle steamer Wingfield Castle. Bit of work and she'd be ready for jet power! Might need a pair of RB199s to make her move though.

Nah, don't stint on the project, go for a pair of RB211s!  ;D

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on February 17, 2019, 09:16:23 AM

Why your Mr Hobdale thought it was Tilbury is another matter altogether. :rolleyes:

He was a rather strange bloke, must of been due to him being a Yorkshireman  ;D Lucky we weren't asked the question in "O" Level Geography then (Grade A by the way  ;) )