Doctor Who?

Started by AeroplaneDriver, January 21, 2019, 11:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

Some of my earliest memories are of watching early 70s Jon Pertwee Doctor Whos.  It's been a lifelong love, and I have recently been watching some of the originals from the 70s after introducing my girlfriend to the new ones and then easing her into the Tom Baker classics.  So I have noticed the lack of Dr Who modeling.  I built a balsawood Tardis for my stepson when I was married and he was 6 and letting me introduce him to the classics (pre New Who), but as a lifelong modeler that is my one and only Dr Who build. 

Not long ago the GF and I watched one of my favorite late Tom Baker stories; State of Decay.  This was a vampire story from 1980.  In the story The Doctor mentions Time Lord "Bow Ships" that were armed with bolts/arrows to shoot through the hearts of the Time Lord's arch enemies (pre Dalek one assumes) , the Vampires. 

So now I'm wanting to do a Sci-Fi build of a Time Lord Bow Ship....does anyone else have a ship from Dr Who that they have thought about building?  Any ship from the series you have thought about reinterpreting?
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

NARSES2

I can actually remember watching the very first episode and watching it again when they repeated it the following Saturday due to a strike of some kind the previous week. I'm getting old  :-\

I've seen a stand at a couple of UK shows which was predominantly Dr Who based, but no where near as much as one would expect.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 22, 2019, 06:41:51 AM
I can actually remember watching the very first episode and watching it again when they repeated it the following Saturday due to a strike of some kind the previous week. I'm getting old  :-\

I've seen a stand at a couple of UK shows which was predominantly Dr Who based, but no where near as much as one would expect.

I'm with you there Chris, William Hartnell was always my favorite.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

William Hartnell was quite scary, at least to a then 11 year old  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

AeroplaneDriver

The first one was actually repeated because the first airing was overshadowed by world news.  Kennedy was shot the same day. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Rheged

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on January 22, 2019, 08:00:44 AM

The first one was actually repeated because the first airing was overshadowed by world news.  Kennedy was shot the same day.

I can remember that too! I was rehearsing for a Boy Scout Gang Show when the news of Kennedy being shot came through.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

tigercat

They had red police boxes in Glasgow if you wanted to  try something different

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 22, 2019, 07:07:15 AM
William Hartnell was quite scary, at least to a then 11 year old  ;)

It was one of the few things Mom would let us watch in the TV room   ;D (actually it was the front room which we weren't usually allowed into).
The TV we had was like a big cupboard, had a record player in the bottom (in a slide-out drawer no less) and the TV was in the top half, my Dad used to fix it when one of the tubes blew (which was quite often)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Rheged

Many, many years ago, I saw an incredibly inebriated individual being restrained by the police about half way down the Royal Mile in Edinburgh.  They were putting him inside the police box that stands there https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Mile_police_box until a van arrived to take him away .He could be heard shouting "Naw. naw, dinna pit  me  in theer!  Their goan te tak me awa in this wee blue box an dump me oan anither worrrld"
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

The Wooksta!

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Leading Observer

I remember going to a show at Olympia in London as a smallish child of 7 or 8 and being taken on a ride on a small train into an Arena where Daleks roamed around threatening to exterminate everyone! Terrified doesn't even begin to describe it!
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

kerick

Quote from: Rheged on January 22, 2019, 01:37:50 PM
Many, many years ago, I saw an incredibly inebriated individual being restrained by the police about half way down the Royal Mile in Edinburgh.  They were putting him inside the police box that stands there https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Mile_police_box until a van arrived to take him away .He could be heard shouting "Naw. naw, dinna pit  me  in theer!  Their goan te tak me awa in this wee blue box an dump me oan anither worrrld"

That would be hilarious to see! I wonder if the police were laughing at him.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on January 22, 2019, 08:00:44 AM

Ah. Now I could have sworn that Kennedy was shot on a Friday, mainly because I have memories of coming home from an after school swimming class and finding mum and dad glued to the box watching it. Now got me wondering what it was they were watching ?

NARSES2

Quote from: Leading Observer on January 22, 2019, 03:39:05 PM
I remember going to a show at Olympia in London as a smallish child of 7 or 8 and being taken on a ride on a small train into an Arena where Daleks roamed around threatening to exterminate everyone! Terrified doesn't even begin to describe it!

;D ;D I can remember loads of 11/12 year old's walking round the playground with an outstretched arm going "I am a Dalek, exterminate" in a weird voice  ;D Even more fun when the robomen came along  :angel:

The Wooksta!

No.  Kennedy was shot on Friday the 22nd November.  The first episode of Who was on the 23rd, the saturday.  However, because of the news overshadowing everything else (think 9/11 back in 2001 filling the news for weeks), the first episode was repeated before episode 2 on the 30th November.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic