HMS Mauretania

Started by tigercat, January 20, 2019, 05:58:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat

So I got RMS Mauretania for Christmas and this morning snaffled HMS Ark Royal at a car boot for £2 so I was thinking HMS Mauretania flattop   

Rheged

Were I a littoral rivet counter (Joyless Maritime Numpty) I would see all sorts of practical difficulties , but I'm not and this is Whiffworld, so I'm assuming that the Royal navy bought her in the early thirties when Cunard were considering her withdrawal and scrapping. A quick conversion would have given the RN a fast carrier before the Munich crisis!  There's a fascinating backstory to be written here and a most interesting model to see taking shape.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Joe C-P

According to The Hybrid Warship, a book everyone of us should own, the USN was offered a deal to have 6 liners built that could be relatively easily converted to carriers.
And many of the early CVEs were converted merchantmen.

So let's see it!  :thumbsup:
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

The Wooksta!

Not suitable for conversion.  Mauri and Lusitania were built partly with government backing so they could be used as auxilliary cruisers should war break out.  For speed reasons their beam width is quite slim, so the CoG is rather high.

I'd suggest reading up on both ships.  A hospital ship conversion is more likely.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

lenny100

how about as a carrier for  CAM fighters but with mutable lanchers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAM_ship
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

tigercat

Wikipedia  which I admit isnt hugely reliable says her beam was 88ft .

The Ark Royal was 94ft
HMS  Hermes was 70ft
HMS Argus  was 68ft 
HMS  Furious was 88ft
HMS Courageous was 81ft

So I'm sure I can fettle  my way round it

Plus dont forget I put a Centaurus engine on a Swordfish .  So  obviously  am a mad eccentric that laughs in face of laws of physics

zenrat

I think you'll find that in some Whiffworlds the so called "Laws" of physics are merely suggestions...

:mellow:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

The Wooksta!

I've never subscribed to that thinking and never will, because it's simply an excuse for lazy thinking and half arsededness.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

tigercat

I can appreciate  that . I prefer sci fi  books where they are consistent  rather than relying on hand wavium , unobtanium or deus ex machina.

Plus I imagine its more of a challenge  and gets brain working more...

Captain Canada

" What are you waiting for, do it ! "
                                               -Dutch
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?