1/35 Luchs/MLRS kit bash

Started by Ramba, January 16, 2019, 07:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramba

Working on another Dragon 1/35 M270 MLRS but this time kit bashed with the Revell SPz Luchs 8x8.

Not sure which way to put the MLRS front cab though. It looks too high when it sits on top. I am leaning more towards the cab in front of the wheels. Looks more streamlined.
Which version do you like better?

I was going for something similar to this. I would need to build the rear cabin area and will probably use the MLRS rocket housing for the top and sides.

philp

I do prefer the cab in front for the streamlined look.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Old Wombat

I'd go with the lower version, too, but, as asked elsewhere, are you able to notch the corner of the cab to allow it to be moved back further?

As you say, the cab sitting on top looks way too high but the cab all forward of the wheels looks way over-extended at the front.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

rickshaw

Cabs out the front limit the entry/exit angle a vehicle can achieve crossing cross country.  That led to the M114 Recce vehicle being abandoned after experience in South Vietnam - the M113 was able to enter/exit rough terrain much more easily.

Cabs high up ensure that a vehicle can outmaneuver more easily.   They also offer advantages in seeing over terrain.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Ramba

Thanks! Yes, I thought it stuck out too far forward a bit as well and I might be able to notch the cab a bit where it wouldn't interfere with the seats. Only thing is, if I notch the cab to go back a bit further it might interfere with the wheels.

Here are some other photos I looked at with the cab in front of the wheels. The HEMTT isn't too far forward but the other two go pretty far.

Old Wombat

I was talking about notching the rear of the cab sides so they cleared the wheels, as it is on the HEMTT - or, more accurately perhaps, across the entire back of the cab (the space under the seats doesn't have to be cuboid).

Ramba

Quote from: Old Wombat on January 17, 2019, 09:02:42 AM
I was talking about notching the rear of the cab sides so they cleared the wheels, as it is on the HEMTT - or, more accurately perhaps, across the entire back of the cab (the space under the seats doesn't have to be cuboid).

Thanks! OK got what you meant.

Here are the two different options so far with the rear area shown. It actually doesn't look too top heavy with the rear section on. In the first photo I want to make the top of the cab level with the rear section so I have to lower the cab a bit. In the second photo I would need to extend the rear area to fill in the rest and I also have to lower the rear section to make level with the top of the cab.

Which looks better?

PR19_Kit

Looks like an 8-wheeled Stolly!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

The first one, particularly if you move the cab forward about half it's length.  That allows leg room for the crew and sufficient space for an engine and gear box, fuel, etc. behind the cab.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Ramba

So I am going with the cab in front of the wheels because, I got a Hobby Boss ZTL-11 which looked fine if you just looked at the top of the box. Once you turn the box over, it was crushed. You can actually see a foot print on the box. YUP! Someone stepped on it. Anyway, after opening the box, the upper hull was completely snapped off and the lower hull was also broken but not completely off. I contacted the seller for replacement parts or kit and still waiting for a reply. I am going to put the upper hull on top of the bed and try to fit the turret so it is more centered on the back.

Photos of the box and broken parts.

Test fitting to see how to fit the upper hull and turret. If I put the rear end towards the cab, the turret sits too far back. In the second photo I have to trim the front broken part off at the line just in front of the turret. That might put the turret too far forward though. Going to trim the front part off now and test fit it again.

chrisonord

This is looking good, I will be watching this. :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Lord_Voyager

I found a picture of a forward positioned, straight-sided cab from a mobile SCUD launcher... This is I think what you were looking for where it came to design?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missile_vehicle

Rick Lowe

What about taking the grey box behind the cab away, and moving the reversed upper hull forward?
The former engine deck could replace whatever the grey box was, and the turret would be further forward and more balanced.
You could always shorten the engine deck, too.

Ramba

Thanks again and for the link!

The grey box behind the cab is the original MLRS engine housing. I am keeping it though on this build to give some filler space.

OK! Here is where I am at the moment. I cleaned up the front of the broken upper hull on the ZTL-11. I will fill in the gap between the rear of the cab and the ZTL hull with plastic card. The holes on the sides will all also get filled in. The turret looks like it sits a little further forward than I like but I aligned it with the Luchs crew access door so it will have to stay. The gun barrel might go past the front of the cab though.

Old Wombat

Do you need all of the engine deck at the back? If not you could trim it back a bit.

I play that game sometimes, you can end up with some very complicated cuts to keep the bits you really want to keep but the final result can look very good.

Or you could fit it as per the first variant you showed & have all the mechanicals between the cab & the fighting compartment.