AH-1W --- an OOB build (well almost)

Started by kitnut617, January 11, 2019, 09:06:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

To start the new year off on the right foot, I decided to take a break from my AV-22 build and do something quick, OOB.  I had this AH-1W at hand because I was using the colour call-out for the AV-22 and after looking at the plastic a few times the decision was made to build it.

Started on Jan 1st/19 and finished  a couple of days ago.

This pic is of it next to my CH-151 Thunderbird, it sort of dwarfs it a bit.

There's no 'what-if' to it but I did have to change the rotor blade pitch, the kit part is both blades and the hub moulded as one and the pitch is dead flat. However while looking at reference photos (mine included) I noticed that when an AH-1 is parked, the blades have an extreme pitch.

So I modified it to look like the photos I've seen. Which required a lot of careful cutting, drilling of very small holes and pinning.

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

chrisonord

I have a few of these knocking about, looks bob on Robert, and a favorite of mine. I just wish that the AH-1Z got made in to a 1/72nd scale kit.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Captain Canada

Very nice ! Another favourite chopper of mine. So small yet so big, and so noisy like any proper war machine !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

Thanks Todd, Chris.

Chris, there is a kit of the AH-1Z manufactured by Hobbycraft and rebox by Kitech which the box says is 1/72. I've got one in the stash but when I did a comparison between the Whiskey to the Zulu, the Zulu comes out way smaller (they should be the same size). I've done some research and I've come to the conclusion the Hobbycraft kit is actually 1/82 scale, at least that's how it measures and scales out as --- It's not just the fuselage that's short, everything is undersize. Like the rotor diameter, in real life it's 48'-0", the kits rotor only works out to 42'-0"

chrisonord

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 11, 2019, 01:52:00 PM
Thanks Todd, Chris.

Chris, there is a kit of the AH-1Z manufactured by Hobbycraft and rebox by Kitech which the box says is 1/72. I've got one in the stash but when I did a comparison between the Whiskey to the Zulu, the Zulu comes out way smaller (they should be the same size). I've done some research and I've come to the conclusion the Hobbycraft kit is actually 1/82 scale, at least that's how it measures and scales out as --- It's not just the fuselage that's short, everything is undersize. Like the rotor diameter, in real life it's 48'-0", the kits rotor only works out to 42'-0"
I have a couple of those kits Robert, got them quite cheap, and I know why. The whole thing is wrong, the sensor pods and exhausts are wrong too, as are the "cheeks" on it.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

kitnut617

Quote from: chrisonord on January 11, 2019, 02:07:39 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on January 11, 2019, 01:52:00 PM
Thanks Todd, Chris.

I have a couple of those kits Robert, got them quite cheap, and I know why. The whole thing is wrong, the sensor pods and exhausts are wrong too, as are the "cheeks" on it.
Chris

Like I said, it's actually 1/82 scale. I tried to figure out what I could use from the kit if I got another Whiskey. But everything would have to be scratch built. So I'm just waiting for Italeri to come up with one  ;D

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nighthunter

Chris and Robert, at least HO scale (1/87) hobbyists will enjoy the Hobbycraft/Kitech Super Cobra Zulus, lol. I'd try my hand at one since I enjoy small scale kits.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

kitnut617

kitnut617

Quote from: nighthunter on January 12, 2019, 05:13:40 AM
Chris and Robert, at least HO scale (1/87) hobbyists will enjoy the Hobbycraft/Kitech Super Cobra Zulus, lol. I'd try my hand at one since I enjoy small scale kits.

I probably won't build the one I've got so it will either sit in the stash or I move it on ---

nighthunter

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 12, 2019, 06:04:03 AM
Quote from: nighthunter on January 12, 2019, 05:13:40 AM

I probably won't build the one I've got so it will either sit in the stash or I move it on ---
Unfortunately, my wife slashed my hobby budget, like a Democrat led Congress slashes the defense budget. :/
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*