Author Topic: SGT's Mess website  (Read 385 times)

Offline strobez

• Full scale Arrow in basement
  • "Oh, that shouldn't be too hard to do..."
SGT's Mess website
« on: January 07, 2019, 03:13:23 pm »
Has anyone ever bought anything from the SGT's Mess website? It looks like it's UK based, so I thought there might be one or two of you that've given it a poke.

I'm looking for a 1/72 Dhow and this one seems to fit the bill close enough - http://www.sgtsmess.co.uk/bo11-qa-non-motorised-dhow.html - but there's sure not a lot of pics to go on. I'm not even entirely sure the boat has a bottom.  It looks like a waterline build from the one lonely picture.
Thanks!

Greg

Offline The Rat

• Proud Designated Pervert
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • Rivets? We don't count no stinkin' rivets!
    • http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Re: SGT's Mess website
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 04:41:31 pm »
Glad you clarified, I thought they were after me. My bar tab is fully paid, honest!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Pineapple is a great pizza topping. Fight me.

Offline Rick Lowe

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 12:17:37 am »
Glad you clarified, I thought they were after me. My bar tab is fully paid, honest!

;D ;D :thumbsup:

I've thought of it, but decided that as the figures I have already have SLRs, it's a bit pointless... But the prices seem good, especially if you suddenly have a need for e.g. 15X AKs plus support weapons... Hmmm... Fred, what are the Loyal Minions of the PDRV using? Could they be convinced about an 'upgrade-for-the-good-of-the-State'?

**EDITED to correct the name...**
Speaking of, also check out Elheim and RH Models - the prices are good, the figures are pretty reasonable and most are generic enough to use where you want/need them.
SandS seem ok too, but I haven't ordered any yet.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 11:41:09 pm by Rick Lowe »

Offline zenrat

• Currently on double secret probation.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 03:04:28 am »
... Fred, what are the Loyal Minions of the PDRV using?...

The People's Militia use locally built AK-47s.  Once trained they get to keep them at home (breaking and entering is rare in The Republic).

I also recommend Elhiem.  I've bought a lot of figures from them with no problems.  They are genuine 1/72 scale.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 03:06:22 am by zenrat »
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Offline Martin H

• Im their Leader. Which way did they go?
  • What-IF SIG
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 09:46:19 am »
Has anyone ever bought anything from the SGT's Mess website? It looks like it's UK based, so I thought there might be one or two of you that've given it a poke.

I'm looking for a 1/72 Dhow and this one seems to fit the bill close enough - http://www.sgtsmess.co.uk/bo11-qa-non-motorised-dhow.html - but there's sure not a lot of pics to go on. I'm not even entirely sure the boat has a bottom.  It looks like a waterline build from the one lonely picture.
Ive seen them around at a few UK shows. Including Brampton and Scale model world.
The bulk of their trade is with wargamers. So I would say it is very unlikley that the Dhow is a full hull.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) TSR-2 SIG Member.
IPMS (UK) R & D SIG Member.
IPMS (UK) DC-3/C-47 SIG Member.

Offline Steel Penguin

• What-IF SIG
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 11:06:39 am »
as a wargamer ive heard of them, but aside from that ive never bought.  sorry
Redone 19/08/15  the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady added 07/10/18   take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances.   wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront

Offline Rick Lowe

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 11:40:41 pm »
The People's Militia use locally built AK-47s.  Once trained they get to keep them at home (breaking and entering is rare in The Republic).

:thumbsup: ;D

Offline dadlamassu

• Makes own decals
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 01:50:12 pm »
I have ordered from Sgts Mess on a number of occasions and they are very good as are the figures. 

The dhow is indeed waterline and though I do not have one but my friend does and here it is in a wargame

It is in the background with a Stuart (1/76) and a Jeep (1/72) for size

Offline strobez

• Full scale Arrow in basement
  • "Oh, that shouldn't be too hard to do..."
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 04:19:05 pm »
Ah, now that is very helpful. Thanks so much! It also confirms my suspicion that, despite being 1/72 scale, itís too small for my needs.  Itís nice to get confirmation of that as I decided to go with a 1/75 scale NiŮa (of ď...Pinta and Santa MarieĒ fame). Itís not a Dhow, but close enough once I get done with it (hopefully).
Thanks!

Greg