Author Topic: 200 with fried rice!  (Read 630 times)

Offline JayBee

• Won't go back to Hull again
  • What-IF SIG
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • "Aquilla non captat muskas"
200 with fried rice!
« on: January 04, 2019, 11:24:38 am »
Having recently been in communication with one of the members here about his need for a Matchbox Hawk 200 canopy, I said that I had some of these kits in the stash as I have had a plan for a few years about building a single seat Hawk, and that he was welcome to one.
Why do I have a few in my stash? Well anytime that I have been at a show, and have been digging my way through the second hand traders stalls, If I see one of these kits I will buy it, having totally forgotten that I have done this several times before. Ah! the joys of getting on a little bit.
To-day I managed to find where these were in the stash and the first one I grabbed was in a slightly worn box, no longer sealed.
I checked inside to make sure everything, especially the canopy parts, was there.
Then I had a look at the instruction sheet and fell about laughing, it is in Chinese. At least I have to presume that is the language that has been used.

Good luck Mossie when this kit gets to you!  :rolleyes:

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Offline Nick

• What-IF SIG
Re: 200 with fried rice!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 11:47:42 am »
Matchbox Hawk 200.
Then I had a look at the instruction sheet and fell about laughing, it is in Chinese. At least I have to presume that is the language that has been used.

I had a few of these delivered from Hong Kong a few years ago. Back in the 70s or 80s Matchbox moved their production to the Far East to save money. When they folded in Europe a lot of the tools were left in the factory in Macau and these guys simply carried on popping out the kits. AFAIK they eventually stopped but for a long time you could get fairly fresh Matchbox kits via Ebay from Hong Kong/Macau. Think they have stopped now.
I suspect there was a good size local market for model kits so translating to Chinese made sense.

Offline 63cpe

• Scratchbuilds the entire model
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 12:07:12 pm »
Woow, I didn't know that. I do have the english version available. If you want me to scan them for you, just PM me...ok?

David aka 63cpe

Offline kitnut617

• That's got his tum rumbling already just by the sound of it.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 12:18:30 pm »
Matchbox Hawk 200.

I had a few of these delivered from Hong Kong a few years ago. Back in the 70s or 80s Matchbox moved their production to the Far East to save money. When they folded in Europe a lot of the tools were left in the factory in Macau and these guys simply carried on popping out the kits. AFAIK they eventually stopped but for a long time you could get fairly fresh Matchbox kits via Ebay from Hong Kong/Macau. Think they have stopped now.
I suspect there was a good size local market for model kits so translating to Chinese made sense.

Yep! I did the same, got one from Macau. I've got a couple of other kits too the same way, one was a Douglas Skynight IIRC and another was a Siskin
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Offline JayBee

• Won't go back to Hull again
  • What-IF SIG
  • "Aquilla non captat muskas"
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 02:20:21 pm »
Woow, I didn't know that. I do have the english version available. If you want me to scan them for you, just PM me...ok?

David aka 63cpe

Thanks David, but not needed. I still have some of the kits with English instructions.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 01:59:21 am »
I had a couple of those "Chinese" Matchbox kits as well. If I remember correctly one or tow of them had a small metal tube of extremely viscous (probably vicious as well  ;D) stringy and smelly glue included ? Took me back to the "Good Old Days"  :angel:
Decals my @r$e!

Offline zenrat

• Currently on double secret probation.
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 02:23:12 am »
Some of the Chinese knockoff's also had dry rub transfers.
I've had three.  The Wessex was buildable but the A-10 & Mystere IVa were only fit for parts due to deterioration of the moulds.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Offline Nick

• What-IF SIG
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 06:03:32 am »
I had a couple of those "Chinese" Matchbox kits as well. If I remember correctly one or tow of them had a small metal tube of extremely viscous (probably vicious as well  ;D) stringy and smelly glue included ? Took me back to the "Good Old Days"  :angel:

I'd forgotten about those! Probably for the best, who knows what those things contained?!  :wacko:

Offline zenrat

• Currently on double secret probation.
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 05:53:04 pm »
I have a few of those tubes.  Want me to open one?
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Offline kerick

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 08:03:34 pm »
I have a few of those tubes.  Want me to open one?

Only with a Haz mat team close by!
There's someone in my head, but it's not me!

Offline Rick Lowe

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 11:49:37 pm »
I usually decant the Academy tubes into a Tamiya glue bottle for when I want an old-school slow-setting glue.

Plus it gives some nice thin foil - though not a lot of it!

Offline NARSES2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 01:20:04 am »
I still have a couple of old "glue tubes" for when it becomes necessary  ;D  I swear back in the day that it was those tubes of glue that got dad's modelling with their sons. You both ended up "high" on a Saturday or whenever you did your modelling  ;)

Plus it gives some nice thin foil - though not a lot of it!

True and old tooth paste tubes used to give you loads of suitable material for wargame's flags and standards  :thumbsup: Ah back in the day  ;)
Decals my @r$e!

Offline Rick Lowe

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2019, 11:45:34 pm »
Oi 'members wheen, back when oi were boot a lad....

sorry, probably a melange of regional patois there...   ;D

Offline NARSES2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 06:21:29 am »

Bit posh as well. Back in my day they were regional accents  ;) ;D
Decals my @r$e!

Offline Rick Lowe

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 11:45:37 pm »

Bit posh as well. Back in my day they were regional accents  ;) ;D

Oops... ::Blush:: ... well, in oi's defence, oi is from t'other soide of a ways away...  ;D