RAAF CA-24 Cyclone Mk1 (Hawker P.1081)

Started by dwomby, December 21, 2018, 03:32:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwomby

In 1949, Hawker designed the P1081 in response to an Australian requirement for a fighter  to be licence built in Australia.  The P1081 is thus often referred to as the 'Australian Fighter' and first flew in 1950.  Due to engine delays and other concerns, Australia selected the NA F-86 instead but what if the RAAF had picked the P1081?

Hawker reverted to its WW2 storm naming tradition and named the P1081 the Hawker Cyclone.  The RAAF contracted Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation to licence build 72 as the CA-24 Cyclone.  30 as the Mk1 and a further 42 as the Mk2 aircraft with additional hardpoints.   This one, A86-132, is the last from the first production batch built at the CAC factory in Fishermans Bend.  She is shown in service with 3 Squadron based at RAAF Williamtown in August 1956. 

She's a lot smaller than the Hunter:

There is a Maintrack/Whirlybird vacform of the P1081 and I have it in the stash but something made me want to build one from injection parts.  I was not trying to exactly replicate a P1081 although this is very close to it.  The main difference is that I changed the cockpit to that used on the production Sea Hawk as I think that is a change that would have happened if it had gone into production.  This is an Airfix Sea Hawk nose section and a PM Models Sabre rear fuselage.  The wing roots are from the Sea Hawk but relocated forward, intakes enlarged and faired in to the large fillet at the rear of the wing.   The wings are cut down from an Airfix Hunter.  The fin and tailplanes are cut down from a Frog Hunter F1.  In hindsight, I suspect a production version might have got a larger fin!

Here's how she looked before painting - not a pretty sight!

Comments and criticisms are welcomed.

David

The Wooksta!

Superb! 

Australian modeller Peter Hobbins did one by combining the Frog Sea hawk and Hunter F1, photos of it can by found in John Baxter's "The Alternate RAAF and RAN". 

Personally, I wouldn't have used Airfix Hunter wings as there's something not quite right about them but I could never quite work out what it was.  Judging by the colour,I'd say yours was a vintage Black Arrows boxing!
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

dwomby

The Hunter wings worked fine for me but needed a lot of cutting down and reshaping. 

David

NARSES2

That's fantastic. :bow:

Really interesting shot posed with the Hunter as well  :thumbsup:

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

AeroplaneDriver

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

PR19_Kit

Wonderful looking aeroplane, the P.1081, and your model more than does it justice. A super job.  :thumbsup:

I have a resin P.1081 from 'friendly sources' and I'm tempted to dig it out and do something with it after seeing yours.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

kitnut617

Quote from: The Wooksta! on December 21, 2018, 03:38:23 AM

Personally, I wouldn't have used Airfix Hunter wings as there's something not quite right about them but I could never quite work out what it was.

Considering there's not much left of the Hunter wing, I wouldn't have thought it mattered
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

major

Thats super. :thumbsup:
All came together really well, wouldn't have known it was such an amalgamation of parts.
Fine work!

philp

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

dwomby

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Season's Greetings to all.

David