Österreichische Luftstreitkräfte Brewster B-339Ö "Dachsbracke"

Started by nighthunter, December 16, 2018, 10:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nighthunter

So, my formerly Irish Brewster Buffalo is not getting a minor repaint and getting Austrian Air Force decals.

In 1938 the Österreichische Luftstreitkräfte, started modernizing as fast as it could afford to, after rebuffing Hitler's attempts to unite with Nazi Germany. Declaring Swiss style neutrality, Austria hoped to stay out of the coming conflict, but prepared to defend it's borders. Before the start of the war, Austria ordered 40 Brewster B-339Ö aircraft, a de-navalized F2A-2, fitted with the Wright R-1820-G-105 engine approved for export use. The G-105 engine had a power output of 1,000 hp (745.7 kW) (peak) on takeoff, some 200 hp (149 kW) less than the engine fitted to the U.S. Navy F2A-2. The top speed was 313 mph (504 km/h). The arrestor hook and liferaft container were, of course, removed, but the self-sealing fuel tank and armored cockpit were kept. The US delivered all 40 aircraft in early September, 1939, a week before Germany invaded Poland. Like their Finnish counterparts, the Austrian mechancis also solved the problem that plagued the Wright Cyclone engine by inverting one of the piston rings in each cylinder, which had a positive effect on reliability. The Austrian pilots enjoyed flying the Brewsters and their reliability, and nicknamed them "Dachsbracke" after the Alpine Dachsbracke or Basset Hound, known for it's hunting prowess and loyalty. In several incursions by the Luftwaffe, Dachsbrackes were scrambled to intercept, they held their own against Messerschmitts. The Dachsbrackes served til 1946, and several ended up in museums and private collections.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Looking forward to the paint scheme! An all-silver aircraft would be plausible (and even look great with the red and white roundels)?

An alternative, appropriate name could be "Wisent", which is the European cousin of the American bison.

nighthunter

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on December 17, 2018, 08:42:45 AM
Looking forward to the paint scheme! An all-silver aircraft would be plausible (and even look great with the red and white roundels)?
Well, it was actually already two tone RAF Dark Green/Earth Brown with a natural metal aluminum underside, so it's getting US Olive Drab over the brown and intermediate blue on the underside.

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on December 17, 2018, 08:42:45 AM
An alternative, appropriate name could be "Wisent", which is the European cousin of the American bison.
Cool, did not know that. I posted the backstory and forgot to put the reason why I went with the nickname "dachsbracke" or Alpine basset hound, which I will rectify shortly.

Hotte

I'm also planning to build a 1/48 Brewster.
Austria also came to my mind  :rolleyes:

Hotte

nighthunter

Quote from: Hotte on December 18, 2018, 05:20:46 AM
I'm also planning to build a 1/48 Brewster.
Austria also came to my mind  :rolleyes:

Hotte
Well, you can always borrow my backstory, lol!

nighthunter

Thread Revival!

Started up again on this tonight. Finished the olive drab and intermediate blue on the model, added Red wingtips and a red band around the fuselage behind the cockpit, zinc chromate on the interior, as well as a glossing of areas in preparation for decals.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

nighthunter

Quote from: Tophe on January 23, 2019, 11:31:15 AM
Like a second life? Is this the airplane of Jesus Christ? :unsure: ;D

Methinks you're thinking "resurrection", there Tophe, lol