Avro Shackleton 'Welsh Dragon'

Started by McColm, November 07, 2018, 04:57:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Over the years the idea of turning the Frog/Novo Avro Shackleton MR3 into a Gunship of similar weapons as the Douglas AC-47 seems appealing to me.
I have some leftover parts from the AC-130U kit which I intend to use.
One of the heavies will be fitted in the nose below the observers' seat. Whilst the other is fitted towards the rear of the left side fuselage.
The mini-guns are to go in the weapons bay doors.
In real life the wingtip fuel tanks would be removed and rear observation cone blanked off. Extra plating added.
I'll probably change the engines and aerials. Vietnam Shackleton.

Lord_Voyager

Ooooo, perhaps put it in South East Asia camo? Black on the bottom with tan, green and dark green on top? THAT would look awesome...

McColm

Quote from: Lord_Voyager on November 07, 2018, 06:06:29 AM
Ooooo, perhaps put it in South East Asia camo? Black on the bottom with tan, green and dark green on top? THAT would look awesome...
I'll do that.Thanks. :thumbsup:

Lord_Voyager

JayBee

I am intrigued by the title.
Why the "Welsh Dragon".
Is it going to be operated by the free Welsh Air Force. Possibly out of one of their secret air bases in the Welsh Valleys.
Maybe out of "Ponty"? 
Maybe with subsidiary armament of empty beer bottles with pictures of Tom Jones on them?
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

kitbasher

Quote from: JayBee on November 07, 2018, 11:26:37 AM
I am intrigued by the title.
Why the "Welsh Dragon".
Is it going to be operated by the free Welsh Air Force. Possibly out of one of their secret air bases in the Welsh Valleys.
Maybe out of "Ponty"? 
Maybe with subsidiary armament of empty beer bottles with pictures of Tom Jones on them?

The Welsh Air Force flew Lancasters in the Patagonian War as described in Malcolm Pryce's 'Aberystwyth Noir' books (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louie_Knight).
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

McColm

Puff thie magic dragon had already been taken by the AC-47D.
I didn't want to confuse anyone, besides t have never seen the Welsh flag on any aircraft.
The Welsh Air Force does have that whiff appeal to be explored.

Rheged

As well as the Welsh dragon, the WHITE dragon of Wessex has possibilities..........then there is the other fire breathing mythical beast, the Chimaera.

Personally, I'd always thought of a gunship Shackleton as the GRIM REAPER.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

McColm

It appears to me that the AMT/ERTL Lockheed AC-130U model kit, is an updated version of the AC-130H.
Hence the gun positions and cannon that is used.
Need less to say most of the weapons for what I need.

AS.12

But what if he has a pointed stick?

I can't find a reference at the moment but I vaguely recall that the Shack's floor was about 7ft wide aft of the wing, with the width tapering gently to the roof.  That's about eight inches narrower than a C-47 and 3.25ft less than a C-130

McColm

No doubt during this build several modifications will be carried out to the original Avro Shackleton MR3.

The Rat

I have some Welsh blood coursing through my veins, so this makes my chest swell a little. And the Welsh flag is a beauty!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

AS.12

Quote from: The Rat on November 08, 2018, 05:49:02 PM
And the Welsh flag is a beauty!

It certainly is, but I only discovered recently that it was adopted as recently as 1959!  Prior to that there wasn't a single national flag, though the dragon emblem dates back looooong time.

McColm

The Airfix Avro Shackleton MR2 can accommodate all of the weapons in the AC-130U kit.
The two mini-guns will fit in the nose just like the kit below this the Bofor gun in the bomb aimer's position minus the window.
The AC-130U comes with two howitzer gun barrels. I will keep the upper gun turret.
Additional lumps and bumps will be added. I will keep the Griffon engines.