Midget Mustang

Started by PR19_Kit, November 02, 2018, 08:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

You'll recall my discovery of the TINY Meikraft Midget Mustang 'kit' (the word 'kit' is used in the widest possible sense here....) in The Loft the other week.

This is how it looked on discovery.

While taking a break from painting zillions of tiny wheels (for the 3rd or 4th time  :banghead:) for the Super Stretch 8 and figuring out different engine, wheelbase, trackwidths for the JPS Racing Team I thought 'Why not have a go at the Midget Mustang, just to pass the time?'

WRONG!  :banghead:

Just trying to extricate the parts from the sprues was a major operation, not helped by Meikraft having generated sprue gates on the other side of the moulding that you can't see because of all the flash! It needed heavy duty snips, heavy duty scalpel blades and my razor saw to get them all free.

And there's one bit, about 5 mm x 3 mm, that I just haven't clue about. It's just bumps on a sheet of flash, so it's gone in the bin!

So this is it now, still more flash than model, and it'll need LOTS of filing and sanding before I can even dry fit the parts.

I think I'll go back to the tiny wheels........
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jalles

Wow, that is horrendous. Is that injection molded?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: jalles on November 02, 2018, 08:38:57 AM

Wow, that is horrendous. Is that injection molded?

Define 'injection'..................  ;D

I think they poured plastic into a 'mould' at some stage, but whether it was 'injected' or just  'gravity assisted' is open to question.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

jalles

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 02, 2018, 09:30:05 AM
I think they poured plastic into a 'mould' at some stage, but whether it was 'injected' or just  'gravity assisted' is open to question.  ;D

:o I've never seen anything like it, that's some amazing flash!

JayBee

Amazing, a "kit" of the Midget Mustang, I never knew that one existed.
From what I now see I think I have been lucky.  :rolleyes:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

kitnut617

Quote from: JayBee on November 02, 2018, 10:06:17 AM
Amazing, a "kit" of the Midget Mustang, I never knew that one existed.
From what I now see I think I have been lucky.  :rolleyes:

According to the 'Big Book', it's well represented in the model world. It says :  Aviation USK 1/?; Czechmasters 1/72; Lone Star Models 1/48; Meikraft 1/72; O-Lin 1/48 (Boycraft, Lindberg, Pegaso); Shizukyo 1/60 (Penguin/Japan)

Manufacturers shown in brackets after another manufacturer means it was reboxed by the ones in the brackets.
O-Lin was formed in the 30's by Paul Lindberg and a partner who's surname was Olsen and was later renamed Lindberg in 1950.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

I think the nebulous bits in the 3 x 5 chink of flash are meant to be the stick and the tail skid, but I reckon a length of styrene rod will do a lot better for both jobs.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

After a LOT of filing and sanding I managed to produce some parts that looked slightly like an aeroplane, so I glued them together and came up with this.

It's missing its fin at the moment as the tail end of the fuselage will need some serious cutting and filing before it will fit, and I'm waiting till the glue dries. I'm surprised just how much it DOES look like a Midget Mustang......

It'll also need a LOT of PSR, but I guess that's par for the course.

Haven't figured out a colour scheme for it yet, but the black/gold JPS Racing Team may work out OK. Or else paint it like a P-51 Mustang, the well known E2-S of the USAAC or even an RAF Mustang IV perhaps? That RAF one, GA-S, has sharkmouth too.  ;)

Regards
Kit