Paris-Dakar Transantarctic race

Started by loupgarou, October 23, 2018, 01:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loupgarou

A theme I'd like to develop... :rolleyes:

After the Paris-Dakar had to move to south America for security reasons, the south american countries, after a few years, got fed up too.
In search of a continent where nobody would complain for noise, squashed people and similar annoyances, the organizers had a brilliant idea: a (nearly) empty continent. So, for 2019, the race will be across the Antarctic, from coast to coast.
The only rule for vehicles (no human or animal power allowed) is to have the roof, or upper part painted red with white racing number. Else everything goes.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Combination wheel/track/hovercraft.  ;D

kerick

Interesting, very interesting.......
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 23, 2018, 02:09:56 PM
The Track Rover for the win!  :thumbsup: ;D ;)

Or an Unimog.

Or something like this...?

Or rather this?

loupgarou

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on October 23, 2018, 02:17:41 PM
Combination wheel/track/hovercraft;D

Hmm, maybe it would be better to add to the rules that the vehicle must be in contact with ground (at least most of the time), else it would be too easy.  ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

loupgarou

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 23, 2018, 02:09:56 PM
The Track Rover for the win!  :thumbsup: ;D ;)

As Dozzy has shown, I'd think something bigger than a Land Rover would be more adequate, also in view of the limited support facilities along the route.
Russians are at an advantage here, as they already have all sorts of tracked trucks and tractors.

zenrat

I googled "Antarctic Car" and got these pics.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kit had something to do with the mini... ;)
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on October 24, 2018, 02:55:59 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if Kit had something to do with the mini... ;)

No no no no no, it wasn't me, honest guv!  ;D

I've never seen that pic before, but it's very interesting.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

It came from this page.
http://vrroom.naa.gov.au/print/?ID=18803
with a link to this one
https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=11665694&isAv=N
which credits it to the Australian Governments Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs (DIMIA).
This is odd as that's not a government body you would expect to be in Antarctica.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rheged

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

jcf

I think The Paris - Mountains of Madness Rally has a nice ring.  ;D

Weaver

Quote from: Rheged on October 24, 2018, 09:20:57 AM
Time to dig out Admiral Byrd's Snow Cruiser? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctic_Snow_Cruiser

Yes, and read carefully about what happened to the Snow Cruiser and why. Big wheels are no substitute for tracks on the wrong kind of snow....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on October 26, 2018, 07:57:16 PM

How about

The Arkham - Mountains of Madness Rally
Taking the madness to the madness

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Snowtrooper

Quote from: Weaver on October 29, 2018, 03:27:39 AM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on October 26, 2018, 07:57:16 PM
How about
The Arkham - Mountains of Madness Rally
Taking the madness to the madness
Using shoggoths to clear a (decidedly non-Euclidean) racetrack to the Antarctic would be totally sensible, though :wacko: