DONE @p.3 +++ 1:72 "Gulf-Mirage" P-51D (mod) Unlimited Class Reno Racer, 70ies

Started by Dizzyfugu, October 13, 2018, 05:50:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Well, an obvious choice, but at least one contribution for this GB from my side will be a "classic" Reno Racer - probably a P-51D with some racing mods and a flashy paint scheme.

Dizzyfugu

1:72 North American P-51D "Mustang", Unlimited Class Reno Racer conversion (Whif(modified Academy kit) - WiP)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Started digging through the donor bank(s) for spare parts, alternatives and also decals. Already have an idea for a bright livery, and for potential airframe mods:
- Griffon engine with a five-blade propeller (late Spitfire)
- a smaller bubble canopy (Typhoon vacu canopy is the current favorite)
- maybe a bigger fin
- maybe a change of the radiator installation, so that the ventral tunnel can disappear; wing leading edges, or the space of the former machine gun bays?*

*There have been very creative solutions in real live, including wing-tip mounted radiator pods!

I also found an Academy P-51D in the stash which will act as canvas.  ;D

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on October 14, 2018, 11:44:18 PM

*There have been very creative solutions in real live, including wing-tip mounted radiator pods!

Ah yes, the 'Beguine', not only painted in a superb shade of green but had the score for the music painted all along it's side!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

You'll be hard pressed to find a crazy idea not already tested in a Reno racer!  ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Dizzyfugu

Yup. Hence, a pretty conservative topic.  ;)

Dizzyfugu

Getting the parts ready. Salvaged an Acedemy P-51D from the stash, as well as some late Spitfire kits which might offer some donor help.

Watching the clock moving slowly...  :wacko:

Dizzyfugu

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 01, 2018, 03:33:46 AM

Not finished yet.  ;)

What?  :o

You've been able to build this for at least 13 hrs now and you HAVEN'T finished it??????  :o :o :o :o :o :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Dizzyfugu

Well, work on this P-51 Reno Racer actually got moving, since yesterday was a local holiday. This, coupled with bad weather, pushed things forward.

Things started with the dissection of the original radiator tunnel and the integration of a tailored plug plate, made from 1.5mm styrene sheet:

1:72 North American P-51D "Mustang", Unlimited Class Reno Racer conversion (Whif(modified Academy kit) - WiP)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

While the cockpit halves were still open and work on the interior made progress, I started covering the original cockpit opening, making it considerably smaller. I eventually rejected the Typhoon vacu canopy for a spare bubble canopy from the Special Hobby Spitfire (at least at this point, see below). Work started with twisted styrene strips as a foundation for the later PSR body work:

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Meanwhile... the wings also got attention, in two ways. The outer wings were clipped by around 1cm each, and the original wing tips re-used - even though they had to be lengthened by 2-3mm in order to fit into place. And, as initially hinted at, the radiators are now placed in the former machine gun compartments - a move that makes sense since the space is there, and it is also an aerodynamically very clean solution. The radiators and their interio were completely scratched, though:

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Meanwhile, back in the cockpit, the fuselage halves could be closed:

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

More PSR ensued, and using the famous RB-51 "Red Baron" Mustang with its Griffon engine as a benchmark, I decided to modify the lower cowling so that the P-51's original carburetor intake disappeared:

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

This is yesterday late evening's status, with the five-blade propeller (left over from a Frog Spitfire Mk. XVI) dry-fitted into place (as usual, I implanted a styrene tube into the cowling and a metal axis onto the propeller):

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

And, as you move on, I found even the Spitfire canopy to be quite big for a Reno Racer - many modified Mustangs bore very small cockpit covers, so I did another research safari and eventually came up with a cockpit canopy from a Tamiya 1:100 Il-28 bomber, which is just large/tiny enough for this project. Unfortunately it lacks a rear fairing, so I improvised and cut a canopy from an Academy Fw 190 into a matching size and shape; looks IMHO better and faster:

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

As a small side effect I had to tighten the cockpit opening even more, so I added two small styrene strip inserts and hope that the will hold and resists further PSR:

1:72 North American P-51D "Mustang", Unlimited Class Reno Racer conversion (Whif(modified Academy kit) - WiP) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

PR19_Kit

That's fast progress even for you Thomas!  :o

It's looking very good, and very 'Reno' too.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

The shorter wings are quite disturbing. When I had the still separate from the fuselage they looked 100% like Fw 190 wings! And now, attached, the proportions of the Mustang look odd - even though the span reduction is not big. Overall the thing lokks sleek, without the tunnel radiator, but the smaller cockpit opening turns out to be a bigger challenge than expected. But I guess I just need more patience...  :rolleyes:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 02, 2018, 08:26:57 AM

The shorter wings are quite disturbing....

No argument from me there.........  ;D ;)

Regards
Kit

jalles

That's looking nice, I really like the new canopy, very sleek, it's no run-of-the-mill P-51.

Dizzyfugu

Yesterday's progress saw the wings attached, and the bulges for the Griffon engine (lent from the Special Hobby Spitfire kit) were added:

1:72 North American P-51D "Mustang", Unlimited Class Reno Racer conversion (Whif/modified Academy kit) - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

And with the dry-fitted canopy plus the propeller, things look like this:

1:72 North American P-51D "Mustang", Unlimited Class Reno Racer conversion (Whif/modified Academy kit) - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

A new, more Spitfire-esque carburetor intake was scratched and added in a different position, further back and down the lower cowling. In order to counter the more massive nose section I also decided to modify the fin a little - and settled for a small extension, lent from a Special Hobby He 100; it's only maybe 2mm more, very subtle.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

And this morning, things are closing in on painting (rattle can, at least an overall basic color). Canopy has been cut into two pieces, so that it can later be displayed in open or closed position. Fin tip still needs PSR. Since it's a racer, there are no antennae or other external attachments. Landing gear covers are just dry-fitted.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr