Tourist Submarines

Started by McColm, October 01, 2018, 01:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

I thought that a tourist submarine was a pure whiff until I Googled it and found out that they do exist.
They can cost over 3 million euros for a 12 seater vessel which have a depth of 100 meters. Each passenger has his/her own 3 foot window.
From the pictures that I have seen they are based around the Beatles 'Yellow Submarine' , diving submersel or the top half of a small cruiser and the lower half a submarine.
Now we aren't talking about the nuclear powered submarines , just the electric, solar-electric and diesel-electric.
I'm sure a U-boat would make an ideal donor for such a Whiff.

dumaniac

There is at least two of them at Honolulu. You can see them going to and from the dive sites every day. The dive site is just off the main beach.

zenrat

I've been on what was billed as a "semi submarine tour" when we were on Maui.  It wasn't actually a submarine, just a boat with a deeply vee'ed hull with windows in the sides and a dummy conning tower built on top.  Oh, and it was painted yellow.
https://www.mauiglassbottomboat.com

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: dumaniac on October 02, 2018, 12:44:37 AM
There is at least two of them at Honolulu. You can see them going to and from the dive sites every day. The dive site is just off the main beach.

They've been there for a couple of decades at least. Been on them a few times. Most memorable thing ? The way peoples teeth turn "green" because of the fluoride in toothpaste and the way that behaves with the changing lighting situation  ;) If memory serves they'd created an artificial reef and in all honesty there wasn't that much to see, but it was great to be underwater none the less especially as I took my friends then 6 year old and she was fascinated, she is now 34 ! Time flies.  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Quote from: zenrat on October 02, 2018, 03:42:33 AM
I've been on what was billed as a "semi submarine tour" when we were on Maui.  It wasn't actually a submarine, just a boat with a deeply vee'ed hull with windows in the sides and a dummy conning tower built on top.  Oh, and it was painted yellow.
https://www.mauiglassbottomboat.com

I did similar in Menorca, they didn't go as far to claim it was a submarine, but yep, it was painted yellow.  Got some great views of Barracudas on the hunt. 
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

loupgarou

Tourist submarines go back much farther than this, and with REAL submarines:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auguste_Piccard_(PX-8)

The Auguste Piccard mesoscaphe, also known simply as the Mésoscaphe, was a manned underwater submarine designed in 1964 by Jacques Piccard, son of Auguste Piccard. It was the world's first passenger submarine, built for Expo64, the 1964 Swiss national exhibition in Lausanne.[1] It was built at the Giovanola fabrication plant in Monthey and the first immersion took place in Le Bouveret on 27 February 1964. It has a total of 45 Plexiglas portholes, with 20 on each side for the 40 passengers.

The Auguste Piccard achieved 1,100 dives in Lake Geneva with 33,000 visitors in 1964 and 1965, to a depth of approximately 150 metres. The ride cost CHF 40 and was the hit of the national exhibition.[2] From 1969 to 1984, it achieved scientific and industrial observation dives in the Gulf of Mexico.[3]
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

McColm