Racing/Competition GB ideas (get a jump on your competitors)

Started by jcf, September 22, 2018, 11:16:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

I know this is early, but I have some stuff I'd like to start sharing in anticipation of the
upcoming GB.

First off the Salt Shark, a new Bonneville/El Mirage land speed racer entered in
Class B Blown Gas Streamliner.

Their FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/Bonneville-Salt-Shark-226594851348688/

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

zenrat

I've sketched some ideas i'm happy to share.
Racing Ideas by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
I sketched the racing tank before I matched parts up and it seems that a small 1/25 car body would be a better fit on a 1/48 tank chassis than a 1/32 car.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 22, 2018, 11:16:03 AM

Cor!  :o :thumbsup:

Does that have two wider track wheels at the front and two narrow track wheels at the back? It's difficult to see on their FB pages.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

puddingwrestler

So, how many of you chaps have heard of 24 Hours of LeMons (note spelling)?
There are already some very whiffish cars racing in said race - including an upside-down Camaro, a sideways Kombi, a helicopter, a caravan with a car inside, numerous backyard replica ferraris, and a Porsche 944 with the front clip of a Chevy S10...
And that's just in the US series - they've started up in Australia too!

Basically, you can race anything so long as it costs less than $500, excluding race safety equipment. Or, anything at all, so long as you bribe the judges enough or do enough penalty laps, or just turn it into something VERY silly to compensate for your performance. Many cars explode.

Fig 1: A typical LeMons race being raced (by racers)

Fig 2: A typical LeMons race car being raced by a typical LeMons racer (in this case Speedycop, who has a reputation for making the craziest machines)

Fig 3: A typical LeMons Racecar doing what it does best, while in Australia.

EDIT: This link will take you to a list of some of the more insane things raced at LeMons.

So, as you can see, this is:
A: The Sport of Champions!
B: Perfect for Whiffery!
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

zenrat

LeMons racing looks like the most sensible thing since I tried my hand at moped racing.

PW's link (above) leads to a fascinating, if massively long, list.  I am only half way though but already fully inspired.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

puddingwrestler

Quote from: zenrat on September 24, 2018, 04:34:19 AM
LeMons racing looks like the most sensible thing since I tried my hand at moped racing.

PW's link (above) leads to a fascinating, if massively long, list.  I am only half way though but already fully inspired.
When you're done, check out their youtube channel - they have short recaps of every race weekend with a bunch of other cars shown - including one I've been having trouble finding pics of elsewhere, but which just seems so perfectly lemony... It's a Porsche 944 which had a bit of front end panel damage, so LeMons being LeMons they decided to replace the front panels with the front bodywork from a Chevy S-10 pickup truck. And somehow it looks right... There's also a Porsche 911 which got rear-ended, damaging the engine. New engine came from a VW Jetta or Passat or something that size. So they replaced the damaged rear end panels of the 911 with the pristine front panels of the VW...
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

zenrat

Fred

loupgarou

Very interesting links, thanks.
What I enjoyed most were the italian idroscivolanti. Ideas are bubbling around.  ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

zenrat

Quote from: perttime on September 30, 2018, 04:17:36 AM
What's this?

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?166872-Vintage-sports-and-racing-cars-pictures&s=8e99965c1912001a7d73d6aef03c6b6a

Its beautiful, that's what it is.
Looks like a Bugatti grille.  Bodywork has a definite French vibe to it and is very Delahaye-esque.

<googles>

It's a (or rather the) Bugatti type 57c Vanvooren Cabriolet.  It was a wedding gift from France to the future Shah.
https://www.ultimatecarpage.com/cg/2044/Bugatti-Type-57-C-Vanvooren-Cabriolet.html
http://fristartmuseum.org/misc/1939-bugatti-type-57c-by-vanvooren

This is a Delahaye.
Fred

jcf

Comparison of a few speed record types of the '20s.
The White Triplex took the brutal approach with three Liberty V-12s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Triplex

http://theoldmotor.com/?p=48819