Pickup Trucks

Started by McColm, September 16, 2018, 04:00:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Most car manufacturers have used a two door coupe or two door saloon as a basis for a pickup truck sold in the commercial vehicle line up or for the military.
There are a few exceptions  or concept models that never made it to the mass market.
Others have simply been converted to fit a purpose or a whim of fantasy.
Even the Cadillac coupe de vill  and Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud haven't escaped the welders' torch.
Which got me thinking about possible whiffs to build in 1/25 or 1/24 scale.
Ideally it would be a simple case of a flatbed pickup truck and mating the front end of the chosen subject in the real world, but this is not the case in the modeling world.
It's your two door or four door common Ute, no hard tops, panel vans, or soft tops allowed and as many axles as possible.

Nick

I was surprised to learn that even the Ford Cortina of the 1970s was converted to a pickup or Bakkie. This was in South Africa and sold in Britain as the P100.
http://www.simoncars.co.uk/ford/cortinatf.html

There's a couple of Ford Focus pickups going around. One is definitely not road registered as it was taken off the line and converted by apprentices at one of Fords head offices as a project. They use it as a run-around on site.
In Brazil they actively sold the Fiesta pickup, the Ford Courier aka Bantam in South Africa. http://www.darkforestcreature.com/Courier/Othercouriers.htm

Jet powered MG ZT? https://www.carthrottle.com/post/this-road-legal-jet-engined-mg-zt-pickup-is-the-definition-of-insanity/

You'll be hard pressed to find a car that didn't have a pickup conversion. An E-type Jaguar would be... uhm... interesting! :lol:

zenrat

You really need a two door body shell to make a decent ute.  Four door front doors are too short.
This was a 1970 Dodge Super Bee (AMT 1/25).
Tow Bee 004 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Tow Bee 005 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Tow Bee 003 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
I'm collecting bits to do another one based on a '76 Dodge Grand National.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

scooter

Quote from: zenrat on September 18, 2018, 04:23:32 AM
You really need a two door body shell to make a decent ute.  Four door front doors are too short.

Unless you want to do a crew cab
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Old Wombat

This is the Ford Courier as sold in Australia;

Single cab, tray-top:

King cab, ute:

Dual (crew) cab, ute with canopy:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kerick

We have a 2006 Ford Fusion at our house. Since I gave up my 1998 Ranger pick up as trade for her new car, I suggested to the spousal unit that we convert it to a pick up like the old Ford Ranchero. A less than positive reply.  :banghead:

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

McColm

The E-type Jaguar and the Ford Mustang would be interesting whiffs. :banghead:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Nick on September 18, 2018, 03:19:06 AM

I was surprised to learn that even the Ford Cortina of the 1970s was converted to a pickup or Bakkie. This was in South Africa and sold in Britain as the P100.
http://www.simoncars.co.uk/ford/cortinatf.html

Yes, I rented a P100 in South Africa once, and it had a 2.5 litre V6 engine!  ;D :thumbsup:

There was a pickup version of the Sierra too. It looked just like a P100 but with a Sierra cab, which was exactly what it was!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit