1:43 Volkswagen T2 Westfalia Berlin (Premium Classixx die cast model conversion)

Started by Dizzyfugu, September 06, 2018, 12:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

1:43 Volkswagen T2 Westfalia Berlin (Premium Classixx die cast model conversion)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Not a whif, but rather a custom build for a friend who recently sold his VW T2 camper - originally bought as a restauration project, but reality rears its ugly head and time and money turn out to be too sparse...

However, as a souvenir I dediced to create a model of the specific T2 camper as a memorabilia piece, on a low budget, though.

The basis is a die cast model from Premium Classixx, a manufacturer that also supplies VW's own fan shop. The company produces lots of limited series models, and they are nicely detailed, even though the paint is a bit thick. I tried to find a basis that was close to thereal bus, yet available and affordable -  and in my shortsightedness I bought an orange/ivory T2a camper with a Westfalia tent roof, which appeared quite close to the original.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Well, that was a mistake... I am not a VW expert, but I realized much too late that the model is T2a, while the bus I wanted to create is a later T2b!!! Rats!

At a cursory glance the differences are minimal, but they are there. For instance, front and rear are different. On the front, the T2b blinkers are placed high, right under the windscreen, while the T2a has them above the bumbers, which are furthermore extended around the corners, under the front doors. The latter could be easily mended through trimming, while the blinkers were a more complicated affair - I filled the original openings and created a new air inlet in the front with new blinkers with a home-printed decal, some silver decal sheet and clear paint.
The rear end, esp. the brake lights, are totally different, but I left them as is, because a modification would have been much too complicated. But I am agitated that I did not notice the differences before I bought the bus model...
The tent roof is, BTW, also different.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Internally, the camper received a complete re-design of the interior, because the seats and other elements were arranged almost completely different. The upholstery and wall covers had also to be changed - the model came with an olive green interior and red/blue seats, and I had to change them to a brown interior with green/yellow seats. In the original bus, the front seats had been replaced with more modern parts with head rests, so they were modified accordingly and became grey.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Another neat internal detail from the original bus is a fake flower chain in rainbow colors that used to hang from the rear view mirror - this was scratched with wire, sawdust and enamel paint.
Music boxes were scrathed, too, and hung into the boot, right behind the back window.

On the exterior, the colors had to bechanged. The ivory roof and bumpers became white, while the wheels received yellow rims (they do not match the original, either...). A big challenge was the spare wheel that is attached to the front: I was not able to get an additional wheel from the manufacturer, so I had to re-cast the spare wheel from one of the model's parts. With an alginate mold and 2C putty the stunt worked, more or less, but it took several attempts and experiments to get it more or less right.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Around the hull, several small details were added, e .g. an individual plug socket, a scratched tow coupling and other very small things.
On the model's basis (it comes in a clear display box with a piece of cobblestone street), I added a flat dish which traditionally collected oil from the engine - created from aluminum foil and a square plastic stencil.

The overall hull color was changed from orange to a bright green, and I tried to  emulate the original's bus slightly shaggy look - after all, it never evolved from its "pre restauration" status to something more sold. There's some visible rust, and on the flanks you can see the red primer coat shine through here and there. The bus is/was also not really shiny, so I gave the model a basic coat with mineral red, and on top of that I added a coat of green (a mix of Humbrol 38 and 36, it comes very close to the real tone) with a flat, soft brush, so that the original, streaky look could be achieved.
Some areas were treated with a slightly different mix of the Humbrol colors, and some anti rust primer added at specific areas.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Beyond the new T2b front grill, many other things were printed as decals at home. This includes the license plates, but also many stickers on the front and back end of the bus. Photographs of the original bus were the basis, and the result is good for the 1:43 scale.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Finally, the model received a coat with Italeri's Semi Gloss acrylic varnish, which creates a good finish that comes close to the original bus.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

...and, finally, a look at the real thing (and its surreal interior) - have fun finding out all the differences...  ;):

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Well, I hate building cars, and the bus was actually not an exception. But I tokk it as a challenge, and, after all, creating a present is always a good motivation. However, the model became not as "good" or close to the real world bus as I had hoped for - but that might be crabbing on a very high level. But as long as you do not take a close look, the result is quite convincing, and I hope that the bus model will be well received.

zenrat

Hate to be a nit picker Dizz, but have you got the roof on backwards?

Apart from that though, you may hate building cars but you have done a fantastic job.  Especially given the relatively small scale.
Good job.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Magnificent work there Thomas, and in 1/43 too! I've built a few resin car kits in that scale and did NOT find it easy, the bus came out very well indeed.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: zenrat on September 06, 2018, 02:05:17 AM
Hate to be a nit picker Dizz, but have you got the roof on backwards?

Ah, no, it's just one of the many differences between the OOB die cast model and the real thing... And since I could not get a good look at the real bus' roof, I stuck with what I had.

Anyway, glad you like it, despite not being fictional. Just unique.  ;)

zenrat

Yeah, looking at the shapes of the ends I can see now that it would only fit one way.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.