Curtiss P-36 Mohawk

Started by NARSES2, August 23, 2018, 06:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

This is the AZModel P-36, of which I have two boxing's. Interesting kit. Goes together quite well in the main and some of the detail is quite nice. On the other hand some of the detail is soft, as is the plastic, and some area's like the wings are best described as a little clunky and take a lot of thinning.

The AZModel Me 109's are really, really good kits whereas this together with the MB5's and MB6's don't come up to those standards. I have the distinct impression they have two distinct teams producing their kits ? Still it's going together relatively quickly.

The box

The innards

Assembled

I've now got it all together and am quite near the point where I need to approach it with a paintbrush  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I remember building the old Revell version of the P-36, one in RAF camo with French roundels on the underside, and I'm pretty sure it didn't have those gun blisters on the top of the cowling.

Were they special add-ons or what?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Pratt & Whitney R-1830: cowling gun barrel fairings (H75A-1/2/3 = Mohawk I - III).

Wright Cyclone: no gun barrel fairings (H75A-4 = Mohawk IV).

While the fairings changed in size and shape over time, none looked like the things
in box art.

The Monogram P-36A kit has the fairings as the P-36A was R-1830 powered.

The reason is that the Cyclone was a larger diameter engine and the cowling size
was increased accordingly, which meant the barrels were now inside for almost
their entire length, thus no fairings required.

NARSES2

I to remember the Monogram kit  :thumbsup:

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on August 23, 2018, 12:01:03 PM

While the fairings changed in size and shape over time, none looked like the things
in box art.

They look nothing like that on the kit either. However the kit's do look a lot more like the actual aircraft's  :thumbsup:

I'm getting on with this, but it is a little odd in parts ? The plastic seems to be a lot harder then previous AZ kits I've built, and I've built a few. It also seems to be "two tone" (loved the music  :angel:). Sanding it and you reveal small areas of darker plastic which appears to be harder ?  :unsure:

Probably just me and the mood I'm in at the moment which is a very, very odd one.  :-X
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Yeah buddy!!! I do love a good Hawk.  :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 24, 2018, 06:09:04 AM

It also seems to be "two tone" (loved the music  :angel:).

YEAH! 'Mirror in the bathroom' by The Beat!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6g2y4aRCHU
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 24, 2018, 02:45:58 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on August 24, 2018, 06:09:04 AM

It also seems to be "two tone" (loved the music  :angel:).

YEAH! 'Mirror in the bathroom' by The Beat!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6g2y4aRCHU

Yup. I go back even earlier to the late 60's when it was bands playing in the back rooms of Brixton or East London pubs  :thumbsup: And then Trojan Records came along and it started to go legit  ;D

NARSES2

Having spent an hour or so with the rather complicated undercarriage doors arrangement she is now ready for paint.

NARSES2

Underside and first of the upper colour's done, start on t'other tomorrow.

zenrat

Do you attach the UC doors before painting?
I paint first or I tend to knock them off.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on September 03, 2018, 04:34:03 AM
Do you attach the UC doors before painting?
I paint first or I tend to knock them off.

Totally depends on how complicated they are. With this one being complicated I thought they stood a better chance of staying attached with the use of Tamiya glue rather than attaching them with super glue afterwards. It also helps that they are the same colour as the underside of the aircraft and the legs apart from the oleos.

With the SAI 207 I'm working on however they are nice simple doors plus a different colour from the legs so I attached them with super glue post painting. Guess what ? I've knocked one off already. I find super glue joints are very prone to the merest tap at times.

PR19_Kit

There's one of the medium strength, slower setting superglues that has some elastomers in its mix, and I've used that for a while now. It's not so brittle as the usual, quick setting stuff, but it's a pain having to hold it in position while it goes off.

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

I think you'll find that on pre-painted parts it's not usually the glue that gives way but, rather, the paint - I've noticed that on my builds, where I've been too lazy or the parts have been too small to clear off an effective area of paint so the glue can grip the plastic.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 03, 2018, 08:17:28 PM
I think you'll find that on pre-painted parts it's not usually the glue that gives way but, rather, the paint - I've noticed that on my builds, where I've been too lazy or the parts have been too small to clear off an effective area of paint so the glue can grip the plastic.

True.  When I dropped my Chad Su-25 Grach and the weapons pylons came off (glued on with gel superglue) they took big chunks of paint with them.
Which was irritating.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

If I glue onto paint, I always clear coat it first. Solved that problem! And, the CA works better on clear-coated to plastic or clear-coated to clear-coated adhesion. Used to have the same problem.....  part would come off and the acrylic paint did, too, in a patch that looks like a frogs foot. See how I tied that in there. . . . lol..
-Sprues McDuck-