Vought F4U-1K

Started by b29r, August 15, 2018, 07:03:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b29r

During February 1945, elements of VF-17 were transferred to the Atlantic theatre as part of Hunter/Killer operations in securing the Atlantic Gap.  The Corsairs used were modified -1D models, with clipped wingtips, but most notably the V configuration tail group.  Lt. Ira Kepford drew first blood for the Skull and Crossbones Squadron when he made a successful rocket attack on the surfaced U-545 on April 25, 1945.  The unit went on to assist in the sinking of three more submarines before hostilities ended with VE Day.

This is the 21st Century Corsair kit in 1/32nd scale.  The kit of course is pretty basic, but lent itself well to these type of modifications.

Best regards,
Kem

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

Very radical, and very nicely done too.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Paper Kosmonaut

Good backstory, great modifications and a really awesome colour scheme. All in all a supernice plane. Amazing what a V-tail and clipped wings can do for a F4U. Great job.
dei t dut mout t waiten!

Old Wombat

Not a V-tail fan but I like the clipped wings & the scheme is killer! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

I love the paint scheme.  Excellent stuff.
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

comrade harps

Whatever.

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 15, 2018, 10:13:43 AM
Very radical, and very nicely done too.  :thumbsup:

Couldn't have put it better  :thumbsup: Well done.

I've got a V Tail Me 109 that's due a place on the bench.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Very good!! I love it.  :wub: :wub: :wub:
-Sprues McDuck-

Hotte

Great :thumbsup:
Looks similar to the BF 109 G-0 V48 !

Hotte

b29r

Thanks guys!

It was a fun build and done several years ago when these 21C kits came on the market.  Growing up close to the Beechcraft plant I guess I have V-tails on the brain  ;)  May even inflict a few more of these V tails on you when things quiet down a bit  :wacko:.

N2:  Would love to see that 109 sometime

Kit:  Have a couple more of these, maybe I will lengthen the wings on one  ;)

Thanks again, and good modeling, Kem

NARSES2

Quote from: b29r on August 17, 2018, 07:04:07 AM

It's in the "pending" pile  :angel: which at least means it's made its way off of the shelf it was on  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

63cpe

Good job! very convincing to me! Now didn't de FAA use the F4U-1K?

Happy Modelling!
Cheers
David

Scotaidh

Quote from: 63cpe on August 18, 2018, 02:20:10 AM
Good job! very convincing to me! Now didn't de FAA use the F4U-1?

Happy Modelling!
Cheers
David

Yes, they did.  My father worked on them, on HMS Implacable.  (Very proud of my father, me.  :)  ) 
The FAA used them on carriers well before the USN did. The FAA had the wing tips clipped because the hanger decks on the RN carriers had lower overheads than the US carriers.

The US pilots didn't like that on landing approaches they couldn't see over the nose of the Corsair - all their Grumman aircraft had short noses and high-sitting cockpits.  It wasn't until Chance-Vought extended the Corsair's tail-strut, making the aircraft's stance more level, that the USN would take the Corsair to sea.

The Corsair's long nose wasn't a problem for the FAA, because they were used to Seafires.  :) 
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 18, 2018, 01:57:06 AM
Quote from: b29r on August 17, 2018, 07:04:07 AM

It's in the "pending" pile  :angel: which at least means it's made its way off of the shelf it was on  ;)

I've got one which I plan to combine with the long wings from the 109H high altitude version.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..