A tip for water soluble putties etc

Started by NARSES2, August 12, 2018, 07:24:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

During our recent hot weather using some putties was a pain in the backside as they would dry almost as soon as you squeezed the tube, yes I'm talking about you PPP.

This also had the effect of making them difficult to even get out of the tube, all my putties had this problem.

Anyway I use an old scalpel to apply my putties and I found that by dipping the blade in water and then shaking it, to get most of the water off it, the PPP behaved far, far better. It even prevented the putty from hardening in the tube. I've continued to do this even though our weather has returned to normal temperatures and it is far easier to apply and smooth out etc.

The trick can be used with Greenstuff and other putties that can be smoothed using various solvents as well. Using the solvent instead of water obviously.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Hmmm, that is an excellent tip.
Thank you Chris.  I'll try it.  Maybe with hot water this time of year... ;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Not to hot or Lord knows what will happen  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hobbes

Dipping the spatula/scalpel in water also works with 2-part epoxy putties like MagicSculp and Milliput.

Old Wombat

Aves Apoxy Sculpt is a water-based 2-part putty & water is the medium for smoothing it out - can get an almost glass-like surface on it if you try.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

I've used water to smooth out Miliput in the past and water to clean PPP up, but I'd never thought of using it to help apply the stuff before. It was the heat that made me try, but it's so much easier and controllable I thought I'd mention it.

As said it also works for Green Stuff etc with the correct solvent.