Piasecki H-21 Workhorse. Victorian Air Service.

Started by zenrat, August 11, 2018, 04:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Piasecki H-21 Workhorse.  Victorian Air Service. People's Democratic Republic of Victoria 1964.

Piasecki H-21 VicAir 01 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The Piasecki H-21 Workhorse/Shawnee is an American helicopter, the fourth of a line of tandem rotor helicopters designed and built by Piasecki Helicopter (later Boeing Vertol). Commonly called "the flying banana", it was a multi-mission helicopter, utilizing wheels, skis, or floats.

Piasecki H-21 VicAir 14 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

VicAir (Victorian Air Service) purchased a number of ex military H-21s in the early sixties.  After refurbishment they could carry 20 passengers and their hand luggage in what was euphemistically described as "sub-economy" class.  They were used on a number of routes including the Tullamarine Airport to Batmania City Centre service, Mornington Archipelago commuter runs and the Frankston-Geelong service (until 1975 when the Bay Bridge opened).

Piasecki H-21 VicAir 07 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The aircraft depicted is the first one refurbished.  When VicAir painted it the rear undercarriage had been removed for overhaul leading to the discovery, upon replacement, that the company logo was obscured.  Nothing was done and the aircraft was rushed into service in the hope no one would notice and it would all be OK.
They did, it wasn't, heads rolled and the paint scheme was adjusted on later aircraft.

Piasecki H-21 VicAir 13 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The Model

Italeri 1/72 Piasecki H-21 Gunship.
Painted with car paint and cheap DIY warehouse enamel.
Home made decals.

Piasecki H-21 VicAir 15 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Piasecki H-21 VicAir 16 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

That looks VERY smart indeed Fred, nice one.  :thumbsup:

I've got that kit too, I must get around to opening the box one day......
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

I was wondering if the H-21 was ex-my stash but I worked out I sold that to Squizza.

Great job on that one, Fred! :thumbsup:

Quote from: zenrat on August 11, 2018, 04:58:58 AM
When VicAir painted it the rear undercarriage had been removed for overhaul leading to the discovery, upon replacement, that the company logo was obscured.  Nothing was done and the aircraft was rushed into service in the hope no one would notice and it would all be OK.
They did, it wasn't, heads rolled ...

Probably literally in the PDRV. ;) :wacko:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

ericr

AS.12

Very smart!  I've always been partial to the early Piasecki bananas.

There was an experimental model of the '21 which flew with paired T58 turboshafts, should the availability of Avgas affect your operations.

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

loupgarou

I'd have expected an Yak-24. Plasticart's one is the VIP version, just the ticket for your air services.  <_<
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

comrade harps

Retired from the Frankston-Geelong service only after the Bay Bridge opened; such investment infrastructure!

Is there a Frankston to Wheelers Hill service?

Beautiful!  :thumbsup:
Whatever.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Thanks folks.

Kit - it built up very nicely but you will want to invest in a set of canopy masks.

Comrade Harps - Surely I have bored you with my idea to build a bridge from Frankston to Geelong?  With an artificial island in the middle of the bay housing a marina, hotels, theme park etc.  Ask me about it when we meet up at next years Expo.
The route you ask about was once provided by Frankston Sky Bus (part of the Frankston Sky Cab company) but the terminus was switched to Glen Waverley after the suburb of Wheelers Hill was levelled in 1984 to enable the expansion of the Caribbean Market free trade zone.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

Glenn Gilbertson

zenrat

Fred

comrade harps

Quote from: zenrat on August 12, 2018, 04:05:49 AM
Thanks folks.

Kit - it built up very nicely but you will want to invest in a set of canopy masks.

Comrade Harps - Surely I have bored you with my idea to build a bridge from Frankston to Geelong?  With an artificial island in the middle of the bay housing a marina, hotels, theme park etc.  Ask me about it when we meet up at next years Expo.
The route you ask about was once provided by Frankston Sky Bus (part of the Frankston Sky Cab company) but the terminus was switched to Glen Waverley after the suburb of Wheelers Hill was levelled in 1984 to enable the expansion of the Caribbean Market free trade zone.

I can see gleaming office towers in  Wheelers Hill having spectacular views to the ranges and the bays. Rooftop helipads, too.
Whatever.