1/144 Airfix SRN4 Mk1 revisited

Started by McColm, August 09, 2018, 11:32:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Hi Guys,
The subject of building the Airfix BHC SRN4 Hovercraft has been discussed at length before but although it's old and has lots of small parts I feel the time has come to build a decent model. Showing off the interior. Hence the reason for buying two kits.
The other will be converted into a naval hovercraft with most of the roof removed and a new floor layout.

McColm

What about stretching the floor space by adding a plug or something?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on August 09, 2018, 07:34:28 PM

What about stretching the floor space by adding a plug or something?

That's what they did with the real ones, or with two of them anyway. Almost all the original Mk. 1s were rebuilt as Mk. 2s with a wider car deck and the pax seats moved outboard a few feet. Then they welded a chunk into the middle of a couple of the Mk. 2s to make the Super 4s. Just to make it difficult for us they then called the Super 4s Mk. 3s.  :banghead:

This pic of the Lee-on-Solent Hovercraft Museum shows the differences. The two big SRN4s are both Super 4s, and the smaller version, bottom right with the black roof, was the sole remaining Mk. 2, but sadly it's now been scrapped, as has the SRN4 ins the centre.

The other two hovercraft visible are the SRN6 'Super 6' to the right of the centre SRN4 with the twin props, and the grey BH7 far left.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

McColm

I received a package yesterday containing two Airfix 1/144 BHC SRN4 Hovercraft, unfortunately one of the kits has a deep scratch on the clear plastic roof and a tear in one of the bags of parts.
My first thought was to lengthen the body just as they had done on the Mk3 but I'll stick to my original plan of building a tribute to the SRN4 and a military variant which will have it's central roof removed to allow helicopters or V/STOL aircraft to operate from .
I will check on line for passengers and cargo in N gauge.

Scotaidh

Quote from: McColm on August 11, 2018, 11:56:54 PM
I received a package yesterday containing two Airfix 1/144 BHC SRN4 Hovercraft, unfortunately one of the kits has a deep scratch on the clear plastic roof and a tear in one of the bags of parts.
My first thought was to lengthen the body just as they had done on the Mk3 but I'll stick to my original plan of building a tribute to the SRN4 and a military variant which will have it's central roof removed to allow helicopters or V/STOL aircraft to operate from .
I will check on line for passengers and cargo in N gauge.

Nice idea!  I'll be following this.  :)  Hovercraft are something of a (non-modeling) passion of mine ...  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Scotaidh on August 12, 2018, 04:20:22 AM

Hovercraft are something of a (non-modeling) passion of mine ...  :)

Fascinating machines indeed. I've always felt that they haven't been fully used or supported by those that could do both.

I'm pleased to say I've travelled on every one of BHC's types bar the SRN1 (of course... ;D) and a BH7.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

McColm

I used the smaller hovercraft service to and from the Isle of Wight on a school trip back in the late 1970's.
I think that they should have kept them in service as an alternative to the ferry service and the Eurotunel service.

NARSES2

I crossed the Channel once on them (were they owned/operated by British Rail at one point ?) and all I remember is the noise and the fact that in my opinion they were nowhere near as comfortable as the ferry.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Scotaidh

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 13, 2018, 05:58:49 AM
I crossed the Channel once on them (were they owned/operated by British Rail at one point ?) and all I remember is the noise and the fact that in my opinion they were nowhere near as comfortable as the ferry.

If I had the running of a re-opened hover-ferry service, I'd not have passenger lounges - just loos and a snack counter.  All passenger to stay in their cars - it's only 30 minutes (to France, much less from Portsmouth to Sandown), and with all the typical spray there's nothing to see anyway.   You'd get more cars on that way - more income, less outlay and up-keep. 

A friend of my dad's engineered a new (back then, anyway) control system that allows cross-wind control, and zero-length turns.
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

NARSES2

Dad didn't drive, but did work for BR, so we went as foot passengers. Or it might have been on a coach ?

I do remember a fair few being seasick. Far more than would have been on the ferry I think.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 13, 2018, 05:58:49 AM

(were they owned/operated by British Rail at one point ?)

Yes, under the Sealink label at first and then SeaSpeed later on.

That's how I ended up taking oil samples from their propeller control systems.

Hovercraft still operate on the Southsea-Ryde service, but not BHC built ones. They're diesel engine too!  :o

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 13, 2018, 07:16:42 AM
Dad didn't drive, but did work for BR, so we went as foot passengers. Or it might have been on a coach ?

I do remember a fair few being seasick. Far more than would have been on the ferry I think.

I've just checked the date they started operating and it was latter than I thought. Dad would have left home for pastures new by then  :rolleyes: So I would have started work and after some consideration I think it might have been a works outing to Calais. No idea why we came back by ferry though ? I couldn't of been that  :drink: could I ?

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 11, 1974, 07:58:33 AM
Hovercraft still operate on the Southsea-Ryde service, but not BHC built ones. They're diesel engine too!  :o

The AP1-88 is also diesel engine, Raymond Wheeler explains the rationale behind that decision
in his book From River to Sea: The Marine Heritage of Sam Saunders, primarily lower initial
cost - the cost of the four Dietz diesels being 1/5 that of an equivalent turbine, reduced maintenance
cost, and much better fuel economy .35lb/H.P.hr compared to .63lb/H.P.hr.
Wheeler was B.H.C. Chief Designer and Technical Director at the time the AP1-88 was designed.
Interestingly the designation was originally AP118, but folks on the board had trouble with it
and quoted it as 1-88, so the designation was changed.