Previous topic - Next topic

MichelC

My new build!

Oh, I know what you will say: "Oh no! Not another 509!"

That's usually reserved for the 109 but on this forum it's the 509, right?   ;D

OK, a quick look inside the box:

3 sprues of gray plastic.

A clear sprue.

A rather simple decal sheet and a mostly unusable PE fret.

A double sided full-color paint instructions sheet in addition to the black and white building instructions (not shown).

To make it all more interesting, some detailing goodies for the pit,

as well as resin wheels, turned brass guns and extra stencils.

Ready to go! : :tornado:

M

Tophe

Quote from: MichelC on August 08, 2018, 01:13:05 PM
a USAAF Me-509 would be fun and creative, or better: a Me-1009=Me-509Z, will you? ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Dizzyfugu

Japanese? IJN colors should look good - simple, but as a Hikoki '46 whif...?

Old Wombat

I saw that box art & before I'd even realised what was going on my brain was singing "O you pretty Chitty Bang Bang, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, we love you".

It's scary what sticks in your head from childhood! :o
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 09, 2018, 05:04:46 AM
I saw that box art & before I'd even realised what was going on my brain was singing "O you pretty Chitty Bang Bang, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, we love you".

Treatment is available  :angel:

Looking forward to this. I like the 509 and I've built it in 1/72, but had completely forgotten about this 1/48 one.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

MichelC

Quote from: Tophe on August 08, 2018, 07:43:38 PM
Quote from: MichelC on August 08, 2018, 01:13:05 PM
a USAAF Me-509 would be fun and creative, or better: a Me-1009=Me-509Z, will you? ;D

Nope, no Z version here but I must say that the idea of building a Z gets my juices flowing! I'm just waiting for the right kit (or kits, rather)  to come along... ;) As to the camo, I find USAAF kinda dull (OK, that's just me). One of the reasons  I grabbed this box from the shelf is the opportunity to do (again) some wild Lufty forty-sixy paint job! Within reason that is cuz after the spaghetti job I did on the Natter I need something more soothing for the nerves. But I just realize, did I post pics of the Natter?

MichelC

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 09, 2018, 12:28:10 AM
Switching Japanese and Luft is an idea I have been toying with... I find it interesting in both ways, like a Shinden with crosses...  :wub:

MichelC

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 09, 2018, 06:40:43 AM

Looking forward to this. I like the 509 and I've built it in 1/72, but had completely forgotten about this 1/48 one.
Would that be the RS kit?

Knightflyer

So has anybody come up with markings for the Baron's Vulgarian Air Force?
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

Hotte

A hungarian or romanian Me 509  :mellow:

Hotte

Dizzyfugu

Or join the re-established Moldovan Air Force, after Axis forces fought their way back to the east in early 1946?  ;)

1:72 Messerschmitt Bf 109 F-4/trop.; "White 24" of the 2nd Fighter Squadron, Royal Moldovan Air Force (Королівська авіація Молдови); Wosnessensk (Вознесенськ ), Oblast Mykolajiw region, Ukraine, early 1942 (Whif/Heller kit)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

IIRC, there's an 1:48 sheet from HiDecal that comes with appropriate roundels - the markings look so cool, exotic and retro...  :rolleyes:

NARSES2

Quote from: MichelC on August 09, 2018, 09:20:51 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on August 09, 2018, 06:40:43 AM

Would that be the RS kit?

Yes it was and it was an enjoyable kit. Comes with plenty of spare parts as well.

Here's my build of it http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,43702.0.html

Quote from: MichelC on August 09, 2018, 09:19:36 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 09, 2018, 12:28:10 AM
Switching Japanese and Luft is an idea I have been toying with... I find it interesting in both ways, like a Shinden with crosses...  :wub:

The Kugisho R2Y1 "Keiun" is vaguely similar. Would certainly confuse some  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

MichelC

Thanks to all for the great and very colorful ideas!  :thumbsup: I love the Moldovan idea, awesome roundels! Hungarian has been done recently so I'm not going to do that but I was planing on doing that same camo as Narses2 did.  :unsure:  Of course that might change by the time I arrive to the painting stage.  :mellow:

@Dizzy, do you have a tutorial on how you take this awesome staged shots of your models?  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

M

NARSES2

Quote from: MichelC on August 11, 2018, 01:31:59 AM
so I'm not going to do that but I was planing on doing that same camo as Narses2 did.  :unsure:  painting stage.  :mellow:

Go for it, I think it suits the shape of the airframe well. Plus from my own point of view being a brush painter it's easier then mottle  ;)

I'm sure whatever you go with it will be  :thumbsup:

MichelC

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 11, 2018, 02:30:02 AM
Quote from: MichelC on August 11, 2018, 01:31:59 AM
so I'm not going to do that but I was planing on doing that same camo as Narses2 did.  :unsure:  painting stage.  :mellow:

Go for it, I think it suits the shape of the airframe well. Plus from my own point of view being a brush painter it's easier then mottle  ;)

I'm sure whatever you go with it will be  :thumbsup:
Thanks Narses2!

Now, let's get to work!

The kit's sides walls have detail, which is unusable in my eyes. 

Some of the detail was scraped off and covered with electrical tape, which is thick enough to cover irregularities and soft enough to adhere to contours. It was secured in place with liquid CA. The consoles are made from  Evergreen strips.

The AirScale Cockpit Details set was then used to add details.

Same on the left side.

To complete the left side I made a throttle quadrant by first punching out a plastic disc

and then adding the levers.

There it is!

BTW, punches can double as glue applicators. Just choose the right diameter for the amount of glue you wanna apply.

Next I turned my attention to the IP, which has some weird buttons smack in the middle of two of the dials.

I decided to get rid of those by first drilling them out...

and then inserting more discs made with the punch and die. Really useful tool, that!

There's also a small lever in the lower center of the panel and switch next to it, both from the AirScale fret.

The bars across the dials on the right seem weird too but I decided to leave those in place...

Lastly I detailed the stick with some spare PE, wire, styrene bits and alu tape.

More to come...

M