Small Arms and Personal Weapons

Started by ysi_maniac, August 08, 2018, 02:06:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ysi_maniac

Mainly german WWII personal weapons

Will die without understanding this world.

Weaver

Nice one! Some of them look like the kind of things that movie prop-makers come up with by mixing parts of real guns to make sci-fi ones.

The basis of the second series is actually a toy gun: an Edison Giocattoli 'Matic 45' - I had one as a kid! The company made a range of cap guns that used the red plastic pot style of cap rather than paper tapes, and even though none of them was an exact copy of a real gun, they were very realistic and credible. I had an Enfiled-style revolver (break action) a Magnum style revolver (swing out cylinder) an automatic pistol that used strip caps rather than circles, the Matic 45 which used the same same things and another rifle whose name I can't recall now.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

dogsbody

"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on August 08, 2018, 02:48:50 AM

I had an Enfiled-style revolver (break action) a Magnum style revolver (swing out cylinder) an automatic pistol that used strip caps rather than circles, the Matic 45 which used the same same things and another rifle whose name I can't recall now.

You'd probably be locked up if you 'played' with one of them today!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 08, 2018, 07:51:38 AM

I had an Enfiled-style revolver (break action) a Magnum style revolver (swing out cylinder) an automatic pistol that used strip caps rather than circles, the Matic 45 which used the same same things and another rifle whose name I can't recall now.

That's if you weren't shot first !

Most realistic looking guns we had as kids playing back in the 50's, early 60's (apart from a couple of mates who had their dad's WWII souvenirs  :o ) were plastic kits of Winchester's, Colt 45's, Derringer's and Flintlock pistols. Were they Renewal ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Burncycle

Was always fond of the idea of a 1940's "P90" style personal defense weapon.  A more conventional grip (such as the Bakelite AK-47 grip), and stamped metal for the body and magazine instead of polymer, and an iron sight setup reminiscent of the FAMAS but shorter (AR-15 carry handle length).  Chambered in 7.62x25 Tok.  Would be great in and out of vehicles.

Also maybe a .50 BMG "light" machine gun (think Barrett .50 in size and weight) but in a top feed configuration similar to a Bren. Instead of box magazines,  it's fed with 6 round clips by the assistant gunner, similar to how a Bofors 40mm is fed, and with an appropriately low rate of fire.

Less of a what if, and more of a missed opportunity, something like the 40mm "Kastet" grenade launcher -- super simple design, using high-low pressure concept. All the technology was there for something like the VOG25, and in WW2 the Japanese even used a similar caseless round concept for the Ho301 cannon https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ho-301_cannon

jcf

dogsbody

My collection of WW1/WW2 replicas.

My collection of US Civil War era replica pistols.

My complete Denix replica collection

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

Weaver

For anybody interested in this stuff, I can't recommend the Forgotten Weapons channel on Youtube highly enough. Ian really knows his stuff, the videos are packed with history and tech info and mercifully free of the macho buffoonery that infests so many gun channels.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ForgottenWeapons
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 08, 2018, 07:51:38 AM

They all had red plugs in the barrels, which was the 'it's only a toy gun' measure of the day.

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

- Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

I really should buy a few hundred Nerf guns & have a good solid crack at that, they look awesome! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Nice Civil War collection there Dogsbody  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.