Mosquito FB.35 Special duties

Started by Devilfish, August 06, 2018, 11:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilfish

In early 1944, Norwegian resistance reported that the Germans had set up a rocket fuel plant for their new wonder weapon, which, if allowed to be deployed, could devastate troops landing during the planned invasion.
As this was, at the time, the only place the fuel was being manufactured, it was imperative that it be destroyed as soon as possible.
The only issue being its location, at the base of a cliff in the end of a Fjord.
One of the top Mosquito squadrons was chosen to carry out the job, but they only had 17 days to train.
After intense training, and some unfortunate losses, the raid took place, resulting in, not only the destruction of the factory, but, unfortunately, the loss of the entire squadron.
In honour of their sacrifice, I have built a replica of their aircraft.
633 Sqn Mosquito.

633 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

For those of you who haven't yet twigged, or don't know, "633 Sqn" is a movie, made in the 60's about a fictitious raid.  The aircraft used were ex-RAF TT.35s, repainted with guns stuck on the Perspex bomb aimers nose.
The plane was based on the Airfix Mosssie PRXVIXXIVVI, whatever it is, lol
This represented the quickest and easiest method, as it has the right engines and a bulged bomb bay.   The "guns" were fitted to the painted over nose, and decals found in my spares.
Of course, I had to watch the movie a couple of times for "research"

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Devilfish on August 06, 2018, 11:44:24 PM

Of course, I had to watch the movie a couple of times for "research"

You have my greatest sympathy, I'm sure you'll recover eventually......  ;)

The model is superb though, a cracking idea and well built too.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

KiwiZac

Brilliant work! I don't think I've ever seen anyone do a "serious" build based on the film machines with proper guns.

Quote from: Devilfish on August 06, 2018, 11:44:24 PMbut, unfortunately, the loss of the entire squadron.
You can't kill a squadron!  ;)
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Devilfish

Quote from: KiwiZac on August 07, 2018, 01:48:30 AM
Brilliant work! I don't think I've ever seen anyone do a "serious" build based on the film machines with proper guns.

Quote from: Devilfish on August 06, 2018, 11:44:24 PMbut, unfortunately, the loss of the entire squadron.
You can't kill a squadron!  ;)

I've also done a Battle of Britain Messerschmitt...

Yellow nosed fuzzy bunny by Paul Carter, on Flickr

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nighthunter

Read the book, now I'll need to search for the movie... Thanks :P
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*